Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Warren County)

Default how to register my son's revolver?

my brother bought a revolver a couple years ago. its a .22 h&r. He never registered it and neither did the guy that had it before him. I bought it for my son. How do i go about registering it in my name so that some day when i decide he is old enough not to sell his guns for beer money i can give it to him?

on a side note i am not the only person buying guns for a 3 year old right?

is there any way to trace it to the origional owner and go through an ffl to transfer?

Default Re: how to register my son's revolver?

So you have an illegal handgun?

You could just go to an FFL and have it transferred to yourself. If I am incorrect anyone please correct me.

(Montgomery County)

There's no registry in PA so you can't register it. There's only a sales database when you do a transfer.
    How did your brother acquire the gun? Did he buy it off the street or go to a dealer for a transfer?
    How did you acquire it from your brother? Did you go to a dealer for a transfer?
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

Here's a recent thread that might be of interest to you.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...egistered.html

And here's a bit of info.

http://www.pafoa.org/law

Owning Firearms

1. Do I have to register my firearms in Pennsylvania? No, in fact in Pennsylvania it is actually illegal for any government or police agency to keep a registry of firearms per 18 Pa.C.S. § 6111.4 (Registration of firearms). If you legally possess bring your firearms into the Pennsylvania or come into possession of the firearms legally, no further action is required.
      It should be noted however that all transfers of handguns in Pennsylvania are required to go through the Pennsylvania Instant Check System (PICS) and as such the Pennsylvania State Police keep a "Sales Database" of all handguns purchased within the Commonwealth. While almost any casual observer can see that this database clearly violates the spirit of 18 Pa.C.S. § 6111.4 (Registration of firearms), in the Pennsylvania Supreme Court agreed with the Pennsylvania State Police that because the database is not a complete record of all handgun ownership (as people bringing handguns into the state do not have to register them), it does not.
    Last edited by internet troll; February 28th, 2013 at 09:54 AM.

(Warren County)

here is what i know about this gun. The guy that had it before my brother bought it off a friend and never went through an ffl. I believe that the friend in question died. if he would not have died i would contact him and just go through the transfer process. Because the chain stops there I am not sure whether he is the owner of record or not.

(Lancaster County)

Without knowing the history of it, I wouldn't want that gun anywhere near me. Maybe you feel differently, but from what you're saying it's been through at least one questionable transfer. You don't know if it's been used in a crime or reported stolen.

I'd find one of them fun gun buybacks that everyone been talking about and get some cash for it. I don't think it's worth trying to "make it legal".
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Adams County)

there is no registration in pa. don't worry about it. firearms transferes between family ther is no paper work.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Without knowing the history of it, I wouldn't want that gun anywhere near me. Maybe you feel differently, but from what you're saying it's been through at least one questionable transfer. You don't know if it's been used in a crime or reported stolen.

I'd find one of them fun gun buybacks that everyone been talking about and get some cash for it. I don't think it's worth trying to "make it legal".
    The way I read it it's been through 3 questionable transfers:

1. "Original" owner that died to the brother's friend.
    2. Brother's friend to the brother.
    3. Brother to the OP.

It doesn't sound like it went through an FFL for any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by bob308 View Post
    there is no registration in pa. don't worry about it. firearms transferes between family ther is no paper work.
    True that there is no registration but the transfer between family members that you mention is only for grandparent to grandchild, parent to child, or between spouses. A transfer between siblings does require a transfer at an FFL. The above also assumes that the applicable family members are both PA residents and not prohibited.

(Warren County)

I can't win on this one. The man that i thought died hasn't died however he is in the hospital and it does not sound like he is getting out to go to an ffl anytime soon. I am going to talk to him and see if he would "GIVE" the pistol to his daughter to have her sign it over to me.

(Luzerne County)

is it extremely old? Isn't there some law like if its over a certain age it doesn't need to be transferred or anything?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast