Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default ROHM model 66 22MAG pistol

I'm very new in gun ownership, and I recently bought a Rohm model 66, 22MAG revolver at a gun show. I was looking for an affordable but decent 22 revolver to go with my first gun, a 9mm Glock 17 Gen4. I love that one. I'm kinda hoping to hear someone say something good about this gun.
    My boy and I took it to the range (the Rohm) and put over 200 rounds through it, and it performed as good as any other 22 revolver I've ever fired. I've done a lot of forum searching to get info on it, and there are a lot of Rohm haters out there. I had a lot of fun shooting it, but after some of the things I read. WOW! Does anyone know anything about my gun?
    It is a 6 shooter with a gate to load from, and has an 8 1/2" barrel with plastic grips, and a casing extractor rod. Any info? Hopefully I get some good replies!

(Berks County)

Default Re: ROHM model 66 22MAG pistol

Welcome to the board, I posted a reply to the other thread, but I'll post it here also...

I had a lot of fun shooting it, but after some of the things I read. WOW! Does anyone know anything about my gun?
    Every other Rohm/RG pistol is pretty much junk....but the model 66, 22/22mag was probably the only decent gun they ever made. They stopped making/importing them in the late 1960's, but there are quite a few out there. I just hope you never need parts. General consensus is the 66 is OK though.

It is a 6 shooter with a gate to load from, and has an 8 1/2" barrel with plastic grips, and a casing extractor rod.
    This type of wheelgun is usully refered to as a "single action" meaning you have to cock it every time you fire it, and cylinder doesn't swing out. It is fashioned after the cowboy guns of the old west. Quite a few companys make single action revolvers of this type. Rohm doesn't import them anymore.

I had a Navy buddy who had a Rohm 66 long ago, one of the reasons I wound up getting a Ruger Single 6, a convertible .22 is fun and handy.

If yours is in good shape and it works you should be fine.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

Default Re: ROHM model 66 22MAG pistol

Thank You for the response. That is pretty much what I've read, that the model 66, 22MAG is the only good gun that they ever made. It's just kinda scary when I read so many post's referencing the Rohm as a piece of junk.

Problem now is can I be confident when I use this gun. How safe is it? I did have a lot of fun shooting it, and so did my son. I'll have a qualified gunsmith take a look at it before I use it again.