Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Need help buying my first AR-15

I'd like to buy my first AR-15. They look really fun to shoot, and well, I just want one. So, what should I get? I don't want to spend a ton of money on one, but I'd like something decent.

What kind of optics are recommended for 50-100 yard target shooting? Scope or red dot?

Thanks!
    Dave

(Venango County)

Default Re: Need help buying my first AR-15

not to be a dick, but do a search man, this topic has been discussed many many times....

now that being said....in those distances ANY reliable AR will do just fine

If you are mechanically inclined, build one, if not buy one.....either way, have fun

PS...you can get a stripped lower, and a Rifle kit and save the 15% bullcrap tax on a new gun

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by markheck1 View Post
    not to be a dick, but do a search man, this topic has been discussed many many times....

now that being said....in those distances ANY reliable AR will do just fine

If you are mechanically inclined, build one, if not buy one.....either way, have fun

PS...you can get a stripped lower, and a Rifle kit and save the 15% bullcrap tax on a new gun
    Exactly. Buy the lower, go to a gun show and buy the rifle kit and save yourself a couple bucks. At 50-100yds your own peepers should be enough of an optic I would think anyway.

BB
    3%

(Westmoreland County)

If you're gonna buy off the shelf, I recommend Bushmaster, Rock River Arms or Stag as the top 3 at affordable prices. Colt and LMT are probably among the cream of the crop, but they don't come cheap!

Just be warned...AR15's are highly addictive! You will want to buy more once you get one! LOL

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Bucks County)

just buy one, bushmaster, rock river, olympic, stag all make quality ar15's that can be purchased for less than 800 bucks for an entry level model. i just saw some century ar15's priced at 600 bucks that looked like really decent rifles especially for 600 bucks. if i had an extra 600 bucks laying around i would have bought the century ar15 in a heartbeat. but i already have an ar15 and don't have an extra 600 bucks. colt's are expensive but have high resale value and are good rifles. SW M&P AR15 are nice rifles to and price under 1000 depending on the model. for a decent gun you're going to spend between 800-1000 but at that price i'm sure you'll be satisfied.

so far as optics are concerned it depends on what type of upper you get, flat top or carry handle. with the flat top you can put any kind of optic you want on the rifle but at the distances you will be shooting i'd recommend a red dot. if you get a carry handle model were the handle is not retachable you can buy a mount for optics but your choices are a bit more limited. checkout tanners on york rd in jamison, pa they have good prices, good selection and they will ship to your ffl.