Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Threaded View

(Franklin County)

Default Eastern PA OPEN CARRY Picnic - Planning thread

Based on the success of today's luncheon, quite a few folks agreed that this should be a regular occurrence, and that doing it quarterly would be a good idea. Given the calendar, it was also suggested that a picnic type gathering be organized next.

I am proposing the date for this event be July 19. I've already checked the Lebanon County parks website and have come up with the following options. If anyone has first-hand knowledge of these locations, please chime in.

Lions Lake Park - Located between Water Street & Jay Street (off N Rte 72). Features include walking trails, wildlife, fishing, boating, playground areas with bathroom facilities, sports fields, volleyball courts, picnic facilities and a large pavilion complete with kitchen facilities available for rent, and a seasonal ice cream parlor. No alcohol permitted on the premises.

South Hills Park - South Lincoln Avenue, Lebanon, PA. Features include golf course, pavilions, playground, and paved path for walking, skateboarding and biking, in addition to tennis, volleyball and basketball courts and baseball fields.

Stoever's Dam Park - Located on the northeast section of the city with entrances off of Third Avenue, Miller Street and Stover Street. With 156 acres, the park features a Nature Barn, Community Theatre, picnic and camping areas, pavilions, boat ramps, fishing, handicapped fishing area, two softball fields, nature trails and memorial arbor.

Loyd H. Roland Memorial Park - One of Lancaster County’s most beautiful parks. Over 70 acres of rolling hills and woodland. Hiking, walking, biking and jogging trails. Picnic facilities for 2 to 200. Fishing and ice-skating pond. Tennis courts for day and night play. Volleyball and basketball courts. Winter sports area. Tot’s playground. 18-hole Disc golf course. All-weather meeting facilities.

Union Canal Tunnel Park - Located off Union Canal Drive & 25th Street; also may be accessed from Tunnel Hill Road. Features include walking trail, historic canal lock, fishing, special scheduled events, and picnic facilities. *Removed from consideration because it seems to be privately owned, with an enforceable "No Firearms" policy.

I don't know specifics, but would assume that if pavilions can be 'reserved', doing so requires a fee. I also know that in some places a fee is mandatory in order to use the pavilions. I will make an inquiry after we have a better idea which facility is preferred, unless someone local already can answer this.

Mark your calendars! I'm sure it will be an event to remember.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; April 22nd, 2008 at 07:06 PM.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.