Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Eastern PA OPEN CARRY Picnic - Planning thread

Based on the success of today's luncheon, quite a few folks agreed that this should be a regular occurrence, and that doing it quarterly would be a good idea. Given the calendar, it was also suggested that a picnic type gathering be organized next.

I am proposing the date for this event be July 19. I've already checked the Lebanon County parks website and have come up with the following options. If anyone has first-hand knowledge of these locations, please chime in.

Lions Lake Park - Located between Water Street & Jay Street (off N Rte 72). Features include walking trails, wildlife, fishing, boating, playground areas with bathroom facilities, sports fields, volleyball courts, picnic facilities and a large pavilion complete with kitchen facilities available for rent, and a seasonal ice cream parlor. No alcohol permitted on the premises.

South Hills Park - South Lincoln Avenue, Lebanon, PA. Features include golf course, pavilions, playground, and paved path for walking, skateboarding and biking, in addition to tennis, volleyball and basketball courts and baseball fields.

Stoever's Dam Park - Located on the northeast section of the city with entrances off of Third Avenue, Miller Street and Stover Street. With 156 acres, the park features a Nature Barn, Community Theatre, picnic and camping areas, pavilions, boat ramps, fishing, handicapped fishing area, two softball fields, nature trails and memorial arbor.

Loyd H. Roland Memorial Park - One of Lancaster County’s most beautiful parks. Over 70 acres of rolling hills and woodland. Hiking, walking, biking and jogging trails. Picnic facilities for 2 to 200. Fishing and ice-skating pond. Tennis courts for day and night play. Volleyball and basketball courts. Winter sports area. Tot’s playground. 18-hole Disc golf course. All-weather meeting facilities.

Union Canal Tunnel Park - Located off Union Canal Drive & 25th Street; also may be accessed from Tunnel Hill Road. Features include walking trail, historic canal lock, fishing, special scheduled events, and picnic facilities. *Removed from consideration because it seems to be privately owned, with an enforceable "No Firearms" policy.

I don't know specifics, but would assume that if pavilions can be 'reserved', doing so requires a fee. I also know that in some places a fee is mandatory in order to use the pavilions. I will make an inquiry after we have a better idea which facility is preferred, unless someone local already can answer this.

Mark your calendars! I'm sure it will be an event to remember.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; April 22nd, 2008 at 07:06 PM.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Berks County)

Thumbs up Re: Eastern PA OPEN CARRY Picnic - Planning thread

Count me in!

As for another suggestion how about a park with a range near by?? Some before or after shooting?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Eastern PA OPEN CARRY Picnic - Planning thread

Mr. Ugly, myself and child will be there.

Park is a great idea! The little man is pretty good in public (he was decently behaved at the open carry luncheon today) but space for him to run around will be a bonus.

(Luzerne County)

Pavilion is a must. If any locals can take pics of any of the potential locations that would be all the better.

I would anticipate a large turnout for an outdoor picnic.

Too bad Memorial Lake is out since it's a State Park, and on Federal Lands to boot . . . LOL

Sounds good
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Berks County)

The idea to organize this near a range sounds like a really good one. A group shoot before or after would be awesome.

(Franklin County)

July 19th I'll be in Maine. I was thinking of doing another lunch here in Franklin County sometime in June followed by a shoot up at the range.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    July 19th I'll be in Maine. I was thinking of doing another lunch here in Franklin County sometime in June followed by a shoot up at the range.
    If you plan and announce it, they will come.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Close to me.
    I'm in !!!!!!!!

(Lebanon County)

I guess that means I'll be on a scouting mission for the next week or so.
    I know that Union Canal Tunnel Park has a sign declaring the prohibition of guns, and they didn't have pavilions the last time I was there. They have recently acquired some property on the west side of the tunnel, I don't know what kind of improvements have been made there.
    It's a great park with a lot of historic significance relating to the transportation of supplies during the Civil War. The tunnel was cut with hammers, hand drills, and black powder. It would be a natural to fit in with our fundamental beliefs of freedom and liberty. It's worth visiting even if we can't have our gathering there.
    (Now we have to get them to be compliant with Pa. state law, if they are in fact in violation. I guess it depends on ownership of the property.)

Memorial lake is a real nice place for a picnic, but as mentioned before, it's out of consideration.

I'll be checking Lion's Lake Park, South Hills Park, Stoever's Dam Park, and any others that I can find. I know that there are other places in the general area, I'll look into it and report what I find. I have a meeting at Jonestown Fish & Game Sunday evening, I'll ask for a few suggestions from the members there, I'll enlist their help as much as I can.

(John, Brad, Simon, ...Come on down....come to the meeting to help me out. You made it to the luncheon, you can survive an hour long meeting).

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast