Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Handgun transfer questions..?

I hope that I am posting this in the right area. Im new to the site but usually come here first for info. Ive tried researching this topic but cant seem to find a situation that fits mine. About a year ago i bought a handgun from a friend and we did not complete a transfer. I am now looking to sell the pistol. I will likely sell it on gun broker or possibly trade it at a local gun shop. I am wondering what i should do as it was never transferd to me. I have asked several people that are pretty knowledgeable about guns but i cant seem to get the same answer. some tell me to have it transfered before selling. others tell me if im going to sell it it doesnt much mater as long as the serial number comes back clean. which it will to the best of my knowledge. i dont want to spend another $50 to transfer it if i dont have to. any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

(Carbon County)

Default Re: Handgun transfer questions..?

i would do a transfer just for the reason the gun you have could have been stolen or used in a crime. i dont care who you got it from, best friend or not. if you go to sell that gun and it comes back with something crazy, you are going to jail, not your friend. besides, it is illegal to buy a gun from your friend without a transfer, you already broke the law.

(Cumberland County)

I see where you are coming from..i dont know the law..but i have seen in other discussions on this topic that it is sellers responsiblity to complete transfer..not the buyers..not sure how its a one way street there..but i dont think there is any issues with the past of the pistol..i could meet him right now and do the transfer..i paid a $100 for the gun and its valued at about $350 currently..i dont know what burn another $50 for a transfer that might not even matter since i will be selling it and it will be going through a transfer at that point..ive never done a person to person transfer so i am not sure what paperwork if any i will be responsible for or how it would go about since the pistol is currently not under my name...

Last edited by dkf; February 28th, 2013 at 02:00 PM.

(Bucks County)

************deleted****************
    Last edited by carwash; March 22nd, 2013 at 06:28 PM. Reason: bad information given

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ruger3038 View Post
    but i have seen in other discussions on this topic that it is sellers responsiblity to complete transfer..not the buyers..not sure how its a one way street there
    They don't do a PICS on the seller. They do it on the buyer. Are you sure you can even own a gun????

Your in a bad, bad position just having the gun in your possession. Do you have an LTCF?
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Sounds to me like you both broke the law. Him for selling it to you and you for buying it without a transfer.
    Can you please cite the law that makes it a crime to buy/receive a firearm without a proper transfer (assuming there is no "conspiracy" involved)?
    Last edited by gnbrotz; February 27th, 2013 at 09:00 PM.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by carwash View Post
    Since you never did a legal transfer it is still legally your friends gun, so just have him do the paperwork for the sale you are trying to do. Why pay to transfer it twice , 1. friend to you then 2. you to new guy, just transfer from friend to new guy .

How would i go about doing something like that on gun broker?

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post
    They don't do a PICS on the seller. They do it on the buyer. Are you sure you can even own a gun????

Your in a bad, bad position just having the gun in your possession. Do you have an LTCF?

I buy guns regularly..i have a ltcf..

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post

I understand the PICS check is done on the buyer..but what information is obtained from the seller? would it matter since its not in my name?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast