Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Any 1911 gurus?

Default Any 1911 gurus?

I have a 3.5" Officer 45 that I wanted to use at the range with 9mm. Can this be done by just fitting a 9mm barrel and extractor?

Also, If I want to change the slide can I fit a 4.25 commander slide to the officers frame and then switch back to my 3.5 without issues?

(York County)

Default Re: Any 1911 gurus?

Answer to the best of my knowledge and ability...
    Part 1.
    Would recommend not trying this. While possible by replacing the upper assembly plus ( slide, barrel, bushing, recoil spring, ejector, and magazine ), there are differences in the feed ramp contour and angle. My original answer was based on misinformation, I apologize for the mistake. Still, it would be cheaper to buy a stand alone 9mm. If you carry a 1911 and are interested in a lower cost but similar 9mm alternative, I would suggest a hi-power clone or derivative.
    This answer presupposes your frame is not machined to use a Para-Clark style barrel with integral feed ramp. This modification would make the conversion easier and more reliable.

Part 2.
    Yes. There would be some fitting involved, but this is way easier than it sounds if your starting with a slide and barrel that have been prefit to each other already. Once fit for proper fit to the frame rails, and checking for feed ramp to barrel clearance and contour, you should be ok.
    Last edited by DClan; February 27th, 2013 at 02:38 AM.

(Berks County)

You will need a 9mm slide, extractor, ejector,barrel and a colt or mec gar 9mm magazine.

Even with all of these parts there is no guarantee that the 9mm round will work with the feed ramp of the frame of your 1911.

I attempted to convert my Colt Gold Cup to 9mm. Got the above parts fitted. Got the 9mm magazines. But due to the feed ramp geometry in the Gold Cup frame, it was alternating fail to feed jams.

When it did fire and cycle correctly, it was a joy to shoot.

Wish I could be the bearer of better news.

Good luck.
    gotta love her ;)

Thanks guys. Before I thought about turning my 45 to a 9 I was thinking about buying a cheap 9 like a S&W sigma...

The 4.25 slide was an afterthought. The Officer is the last 45 I have left and I wanted to get longer barrel for it and thought the commander slide might be a fun project.