Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone...

Default Re: Anyone...

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    In short: I say they are taking 45 days to process applications because they *CAN*, not because they need to.
    To me it seems their job would be a lot easier the faster they processed the apps rather than taking the full 45. I don't get it.

(Delaware County)

They do take a while but at least they have extended hours, which they don't have to do.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by thaghost87 View Post
    To me it seems their job would be a lot easier the faster they processed the apps rather than taking the full 45. I don't get it.
    The more frustrating it is for a citizen to get his/her LTCF, the more likely they will choose to skip the hassle and not get one. It's a roundabout way to limit the number of LTCF holders. Has nothing - IMHO - to do with it being easier for them.

My 2¢

A friend of mine got his in less than a month. They dont call references anymore so im told.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    I applied for my first LTCF on 2/2. Based on the definition of "day" in the PA statutes I received my approval on day 45, 3/20, and picked it up the next day.

During the wait I dropped by the office to check on the progress on Monday night, 3/11. The deputy checked the shelf of completed files - nada. Then he checked the stack that was being actively worked on that day and said they were from 1/25, or about 44 days earlier. My *impression* is that they are letting the applications languish simply because they can and not processing them until the last moment. If they are *all* taking 45 days to process then - logically - they are processing one day's worth of applications each day, or - mathematically - one hour's worth every hour. If the volume was too much for them then they would be getting behind; they are not. Even allowing that they may be functioning at their limit, I would think that adding 1 worker to the process - even half time - should be able to eliminate the 'backlog' in a month or two, but I don't feel that that would be one of their goals. I know they didn't contact either of my references, so that did not cause any delays.

In short: I say they are taking 45 days to process applications because they *CAN*, not because they need to.
    +1
    When I renewed my license, I spoke to one of the ladies behind the counter about the delay.
    She relayed/lamented to me that ...
    When she started, she was processing 5 apps a week and that was in her job description when she applied for the job.
    Now, years later ... she is processing 20 apps a day.

I asked her what she actually has to do with them to process them and she basically collects the apps and money, logs it into a computer, and sends the paperwork to Harrisburg.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm also in the same boat as the Sarge.

That trip to Harrisburg takes a l o n g time.

I got the impression from her that this was her way to say to her managers ' this is too much work'.

After talking with her a bit about it, she basically told me that she is supposed to do 5 a week and that's all she's doing.

Knowing some about the courts here in PA, local courthouses send a courier at least once a week to Harrisburg.

This 'backlog' could be eliminated within a week's time.... with the right people.

(Delaware County)

I applied for my renewal early February and still no letter went up there a few days ago and they said it was still incomplete. My old one has expired now and I am left with nothing. I said to them well I applied 2 months ahead like I was supposed to and now mine is expirerd. They didn't really have anything to say about that it would help out if people had there paper work filled out prior to going there.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay2125 View Post
    I applied for my renewal early February and still no letter went up there a few days ago and they said it was still incomplete. My old one has expired now and I am left with nothing. I said to them well I applied 2 months ahead like I was supposed to and now mine is expirerd. They didn't really have anything to say about that it would help out if people had there paper work filled out prior to going there.
    Your still legal. Look for a thread about expired licenses and it should include a link to the statute. I believe your expired license would cover you for 6 months.

IANAL and I have been wrong before.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    Your still legal. Look for a thread about expired licenses and it should include a link to the statute. I believe your expired license would cover you for 6 months.

IANAL and I have been wrong before.
    CORRECT ...
    18 Pa CSA 6106(b)(12) A person who has a lawfully issued license to carry a firearm pursuant to section 6109 (relating to licenses) and that said license expired within six months prior to the date of arrest and that the individual is otherwise eligible for renewal of the license.
    but, arguably, the person carrying on the expired LTCF does not garner the exemption to the GFSZA 1000' exclusionary area.
    IANAL

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    CORRECT ...

but, arguably, the person carrying on the expired LTCF does not garner the exemption to the GFSZA 1000' exclusionary area.
    Thanks for pointing out the statute and limitations. I will be better informed next time.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    CORRECT ...

18 Pa CSA 6106(b)(12) A person who has a lawfully issued license to carry a firearm pursuant to section 6109 (relating to licenses) and that said license expired within six months prior to the date of arrest and that the individual is otherwise eligible for renewal of the license.

Isn't that referring to if you were arrested for carry without a license and that the 6 month thing would be an arguable defense, not that you get a 6 month extension?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast