Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Gunsmiths- Any opportunities for part time?

I am retiring and considering a lot of options. I am really good at mechanical things. Really good. Enjoy it. I HEAR that most gunsmiths are backed up with work. Any opportunities out there for part time work or is it all bullcrap? Not looking to do intricate work - just make a few bucks in retirement. Thinking about enrolling in an online course.. But not to make the course seller rich.

I am certified Pistol instructor and also RSO shortly, but looking at options. Not fond of walking around in Home Depot in retirement but looking for options.

(York County)

Default Re: Gunsmiths- Any opportunities for part time?

gunsmithing is a closely guarded guild, friend. nastiest bunch of fellas this side of the Gorgon, cep'n for a few like me. requires lots of experience. not a parts changing job.

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    gunsmithing is a closely guarded guild, friend. nastiest bunch of fellas this side of the Gorgon, cep'n for a few like me. requires lots of experience. not a parts changing job.
    what type of gunsmithing training school would you suggest? I see lots of them in the back of firearm magazines I check out. but not too sure on their legitimacy. also I see many online.

Def seems like a handson training type skill to me. cant imagine how you could learn it without actually having a skilled pro right next to you.

sorta like a auto mechanics degree online in the privacy of your own home. heh.

Well to do detail work I would expect take years of experience. i am talking working part time as an assistant or something.. Gunsmith schools are EXPENSIVE.. AGI is one. But.. not going to plunk down any money. Looking to do some of the simple work in a place where the experienced folks do the detail work Agree 0 HANDS ON is only way.