Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Gun Cabinet Dehumidifiers

I've been forced to move my gun cabinet to the very back room of the basement.

This is where our hot water heater, laundry facility & heating/cooling for the house is.

With that said I've placed my Stack On double door gun cabinet up on concrete blocks to keep it from getting wet in case the area would flood, which it has in the past.

On to the topic at hand. We have a dehumidifier running in the basement all the time. But I'd like to put one in the gun cabinet as well since its moved from a finished room to an unfinished room.

I've done a little research and found the rechargeable models which are a great idea but ratings/reviews are all over the place.

I do have an outlet right above the gun cabinet which is ideal for a electric powered model. The only concern I have with these are, I see the produce heat. One review said roughly 106 degrees. I also saw you place these on the bottom of the gun cabinet. Well I have padding on the bottom and I would think this would be a big fire hazard. Yes/No?

What are your all recommendations on this? Brands/Models/Purchase location...

Thanks

Default Re: Gun Cabinet Dehumidifiers

106 degree isn't going to start a fire. Hot tubs run around 100.

On a more significant note tell your wife to move her shit and herself into the basement...problem solved.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Lancaster County)

Autoignition point of paper is 218-246 deg F, for Leather or Parchment it is 200 deg F.

A dry rod at 106" is not going to auto ignite your carpet. All dry rods dehumidifiers are sold with plastic feet to raise them up. Not so they don't singe carpet, but so they get max air circulation going.

If you have power in the enclosure, GoldenRod dehumidifier rods are great Raises the ambient temperature of the enclosure forcing damp air out by heating the lower air in the cabinet. buy this name brand over the cheaper ones. This is something you need to buy once and forget it. Let it do its job for the next 10+ years rather than buy the cheap one and find out it quit forcing you to deal with corrosion issues.

I use 18” Lockdown electric dehumidifier made by GoldenRod Gun Saver for each of my safes. The safes had enough of a lip under the door to allow the humidifier rod to be placed in the front. Per GoldenRod, this is the recommended placement for optimal protection.

I also added some back up rechargeable dehumidifiers as well as
    AcuRite Humidity Monitors

Better safe than sorry.

And skip the can desiccants that need recharged in an oven. Too much of a pain in the ass...and you will put it off. Then it becomes like the carry gun that is too heavy for your belt. It does not get used and you find out later that you wish you had it.
    Cool signature line goes here..
    ..or here, cause I got me a Bronze subscription and I get 2 lines...

(Delaware County)

I have a Remington mini 365. I recharge about once every two weeks. It's been over a year and all is good.