Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Smile Response from Governor Corbett

Just received this response from the Governors office.

Dear Friend:
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts with my office to express your views on the important issues related to gun violence and school safety measures.*
    As a former law enforcement official, I certainly understand the importance of keeping violent criminals off of Pennsylvania’s streets while upholding our unwavering commitment to protect law abiding citizen’s Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms.* While no additional restrictions on the rights of law abiding citizens can stop violent predators intent on committing crime, there are a number of ways my administration is working to protect our schools, keep dangerous criminals off the street and provide care for those suffering from mental illness.
    I believe that it is important to ensure the safety of our students against violent criminals.* That is why I have proposed to invest $1 billion in our public schools with the privatization of our wine and spirit system over the next 4 years through my Passport to Learning Program.* This proposal would provide funding for local school districts to invest in initiatives designed to fit the need of each school, including security programs to protect our students.
    As part of our efforts to protect Pennsylvania’s communities, I was pleased to sign HB 898 into law on October 25, 2012.* This law imposes strict sentences for those who participate in straw purchasing of firearms for individuals who are legally ineligible to own a gun.* This measure is critical to our ongoing efforts to keep weapons out of the hands of criminals.* It is essential that we equip our law enforcement officials with the tools and resources necessary to enforce our existing laws.* For this reason, I have also proposed three additional classes of state police cadets in the next fiscal year.* These classes will provide up to 290 new troopers to ensure that our State Police force retains the necessary man power to protect our communities.
    It is also important to note the critical role of mental health policy in ensuring the safety of our Commonwealth.* In my budget address for Fiscal Year 2013-2014, I have proposed investing $40 million to provide critical services to families and individuals affected by intellectual and physical disabilities, including people with mental illnesses.* This additional funding will help provide necessary care to bring services to our most vulnerable citizens and enables them to live independently, safely and productively in our communities.
    Thank you again for your correspondence on this important topic.* I believe the action and proposals I have laid out will help protect Pennsylvanians.* Please do not hesitate to contact my office with any future questions or concerns related to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
    Sincerely,
    TOM CORBETT
    Governor
    The Office of Governor Tom Corbett
    225 Main Capitol Building
    Harrisburg, PA 17120
    Phone: (717) 787-2500
    Fax: (717) 772-8284
    governor@pa.gov
    www.pa.gov

Maybe this will help alleviate the fears of new legislation becoming law here in PA.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Response from Governor Corbett

Form letter. I got two of them today, not sure why he sent 2, but hey at least he (finally) answered.

(Cumberland County)

I received one as well. Looks like he is more interested in providing education, and security in schools as well as strengthening the state police force.

(Lehigh County)

I received the same email today.

(Franklin County)

At least its a little better than his gun grabbing, Constitution stomping, mass media infused, personal opinion statement from before. He SOUNDS like he might semi support the 2A and his people's wishes, but making sure to leave loopholes.

(Montgomery County)

Got the two emails today as well, I don't know if I want my tax dollars buying more police who are
    A: generally less educated on gun laws then the legally armed citizenry is
    B: even if they are educated, they are likely to negate my civil rights and god given freedoms if they think they can get away with it
    C: will become part of a greater force that will likely be used to disarm and or detain people who are law abiding citizens who will become enemy's of the state overnight when the sh@t hits the proverbial fan.

Don't get me wrong I think that the police play an important role in our society. I just also think that those who have more firearms rights then the average citizen, and knows that they will be issued a gun gold card after retirement often care less about our rights, after a while they start to think they are somehow more entitled then the rest of us. Also, their is always the bad apples who no matter what will always use the badge for the good of themselves or their political connections, and not the citizens they protect.

That all being said, as a veteran-I have the utmost respect for all folks in uniform, be it a soldier or a working patrolman who is committed to the oath they swore. As long as they uphold that commitment and don't abuse it.

At the same time I hold little trust in government or politicians as I come from a community where over 3000 people have died, including my grandparents. My father, my stepmother and myself are all sick, and will eventually succumb to a horrible disease that the government knew about for at least 50 years, but let it continue to happen as the owners of the company responsible had cronies in the white house and several departments of government