Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Upper Moreland discusses ownership of certain firearms

I'm not a resident but live next door to Upper Moreland. Might have to go to the next commissioners meeting on March 18 anyway, just to voice my displeasure with this sort of nonsense:

http://www.phillyburbs.com/my_town/w...007884b47.html

During the past few monthly public health and safety committee meetings, Upper Moreland has been discussing its position regarding restrictions on owning certain firearms.

The conversation originally became an agenda item after a request by Jonathan de Jonge of the township’s environmental advisory board in the wake of the Sandy Hook shooting.

De Jonge said the township needs to “address and make adjustments” to some aspects of firearms, such as “disallowing non-civilians to buy rounds of armor piercing bullets.”

He also noted that while he does not believe people should be relieved of their firearms completely, he does believe they should be registered and licensed, and there should be some restrictions.

Commissioner Donna Parsell said during the Jan. 28 meeting that as a local government authority, the township is subject to federal and state laws and have no legal say in regulating firearms.

Commissioner Lisa Romaniello made the suggestion that the township should decide exactly where they stand on the issue and send a resolution “to communicate with our congresswoman and state legislators of how we feel as a community.”

In this resolution, Romaniello said issues such as whether the township wants to take a position on the ban of military style weapons or high volume ammunition clips could be tackled.

Upper Moreland residents were also part of the discussion, and Nick Scull commented that he believes over half of gun owners favor the kind of regulation being discussed.

Susan Worth LaManna, another resident and someone who has a rifle in her own home, inquired about the success of the recent gun buy-back program. Acting police Chief Alex Levy noted that it was very successful and said that the program may also be successful if it is held every six months.

The next committee meeting will be held on March 18.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Upper Moreland discusses ownership of certain firearms

I thought this crap passed by last month, must have missed this part. Lisa is one to watch, she has some odd opinions.

May have to get some folks together.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Upper Moreland discusses ownership of certain firearms

Is there any update on this? I apparently missed this.