Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: French Creek Outfitters - Phoenixville

Is there an age restriction on how old you have to be to shoot a handgun? I went to Target Master with my sister who is 19 and they wouldn't let her shoot my Springfield XD Sub-Compact 9mm.

Needless to say, they (Target Master) lost my business for poorly listing these regulations on their website and giving me false information over the phone when I called and got the "OK" for her to shoot a handgun.

(Montgomery County)

I have been to FCO a few times to shoot. I find the staff to be professional and courteous. The facility seemed to be nicely run, clean, and enjoyable. I will return.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by iMoses14 View Post
    Is there an age restriction on how old you have to be to shoot a handgun? I went to Target Master with my sister who is 19 and they wouldn't let her shoot my Springfield XD Sub-Compact 9mm.

Needless to say, they (Target Master) lost my business for poorly listing these regulations on their website and giving me false information over the phone when I called and got the "OK" for her to shoot a handgun.
    Same thing happened to me at TM when I brought my brother (19) to shoot with me. TM told me that it's the law that no one under 21 can shoot a pistol without their parent/legal guardian present. I contested this by saying that once you are 18 a legal guardian does not exist for you, you are emancipated from your parents. This, of course, fell on deaf ears.

A few weeks later I went to FCO and asked them if this was in fact a law, knowing full well it is not. One of the elder gentleman (Mustache Brian, great guy) told me that it is not a law, but their insurance policy states that a person who is under 21 may not shoot a pistol at their range without a parent/legal guardian present. I can understand this better because if it's policy that is totally different than stating it is a law.

Basically, the only way she is going to shoot a pistol with you is if you and her go to an outdoor gun club or shoot in the middle of nowhere somewhere.

(Montgomery County)

+1 for French Creek Outfitters; I have had nothing but good experiences. While I had military small arms experience, since my wife wanted to take up shooting we scheduled a lesson with Brian. He is experienced, knowledgeable, an accomplished competitive shooter and a generally nice guy. Once you get to know Derek he's very helpful. Don't mistake quiet and business like for unfriendly.

I can't tell you how much time they spent with my wife (and me) at the sales counter without any pressure or hype. Prices might be $20-30 higher than elswhere but its been worth every penny to me.

(Montgomery County)

I been there a few times. Nice people there. They are very professional. Even give me a Glock magazine (the reading material not the thing you put bullets in) for free!!!!

(Chester County)

Smile Re: French Creek Outfitters - Phoenixville

The folks and the range at French Creek Outfitters are hard to beat. No attitude from anyone. And the range folks there are a great help, especially if you look like you need it!

Took my daughter there on Tues for an hour of range time at $13 ($12 for me, $1 for her, it was ladies night and women apparently get to shoot for a dollar).

I normally can't hold a candle to her in shooting, but I had a nice group of 13 shots (.380 95 gr Montana Gold HP's) from an old Beretta 84 at 7 yds: 1.5". For me, the target was a keeper.
    - bamboomaster

(Philadelphia County)

The place is fine, the staff is fine. Worth the $12.00 bucks.

(Montgomery County)

I shop and shoot there almost exclusively now. I did get a bit of an attitude from Derek when renting the Desert Eagle 50 cal but once he saw I had my 500 mag that quickly vanished. I've bought a few guns and a safe from them in the past 2 years and have had zero complaints about the service or shooting range.
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

(Montgomery County)

Bought my KelTec P11 and Ruger MKlll there. No pressure from sales people, i.e. Ray in one case, Derek in the other. In fact I mentioned something about a cable lock and another salesperson passing by heard me and gave me a free one.

Ammo was reasonable, Derek was very helpful when he was in charge at the range. (I'd never shot there before.)

Gun prices were competitive and they include 4hrs of range time - and the background check is only $5. Of course if you don't plan to shoot there that won't matter.

In any case it's best to consider the whole package.

Didn't know about ladie's day. Hmm, an evil plan is beginning take shape...

Ham radio: when all else fails.

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by CommonHighrise View Post
    The guy with the lazy eye is the asshat. Everyone else has been great, although the older gentleman let some kids in with sandals on. Whoops.

$11/hr to shoot. Tuesdays are ladies nights, $1/hr for women. Fridays are date nights, guy pays regular, lady shoots for free.

Ear and eye protection are $1 each to rent. Targets are 5 for $1.

I beleive its a 50 foot range, but I could be wrong. 12 lanes, with benches both in front, and shelves to the side of each lane. Nice target hangers. Very well lit and ventilated.

Ammo isnt too cheap, but reasonable. I stock up from WalMart, but Ill buy an extra box from them if the mood suits me.

Floor is carpeted and clean, with maintained trash bins for brass. You are required to sweep up your lane when finished, and they provide decent brooms and dustpans. If you dont clean, you get black listed.

One thing I like, you have to visually verify with the range attendant that your firearm and mags are unloaded before you can leave.
    The guy you mentioned has always been professional and courteous to my wife and I. The older gentleman was the one we had issues with. I wrote a letter to the manager detailing my issues with him. I didn't really expect a reply, but I received a call from the owner and he apologized and said he'd take care of. On my visits since then, he's been nothing but pleasant. In the military we call that a coming to Jesus meeting. : ) It says alot about an establishment when the owner takes the time to address a problem personally. Everybody else I've dealt with there has been very friendly and courteous. As for their prices, I've found some good deals there and some not so good. Depends on what your looking for. But that goes for any place.
    Tim , USAF Ret.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast