Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: S&W 38-2 action

Smile S&W 38-2 action

Hello all snubbie fans!
    I sold 638 few years ago- had a cheap finish. Required a 642 thinking I missed the lightness of it but would like the sleekness. Its OK but the action is terrible and I cannot hit anything with it. Problem with the 638's are that cocking it hurts my thumb (sensitive joints). While I do love the SS cylinder, I pulled the trigger and bought a 38-2. After this rambling my question comes down to this- is it my imagination or is the DA on the 38-2 the best ever? I normally shy away fr blued guns but wow, this one is great! Why couldn't S&W have kept this quality on their newer models? I would never have sold my old 638 then!

Has anyone had a similar visceral reaction to the 38-2?

I would love your feedback!

Thanks!

(Pike County)

Default Re: S&W 38-2 action

I did a "trigger job" on my 642 when it was bought. Dry fired about 2,000 times. The trigger now is really good. You have to practice with a J frame to become good with it. I can keep all my shots in a fist sized target all day.

I agree, older Smiths have very smooth triggers right out of the box. Nothing like the trigger on my model 10 from 1970.

I think the fit and finish was slightly better on the older smiths, however it simply may be that the old gun has enough rounds through it to smooth the action out, or maybe someone did a trigger job at some point. Rule of thumb on any DA is the more times you pull the trigger, the better and smoother it feels. You can achieve the same feel on a new pistol by tearing it down and polishing etc, that's the main part of a trigger, with the possibility of swapping springs as well.

Talking Re: S&W 38-2 action

Thanks for the replies. I am told the piece was not (or barely) fired. I played with some snap caps and it is GREAT! The 642, however, with snap caps in it, fatigues my trigger finger after 20 pulls. I literally start to slow down and get sore! I keep waiting for the action to ease up a bit. I do not want to invest in an action job or new spring now. Should have stuck with the 638 and done it then. I have heard that the "hammerless" version has a slightly worse feel. I guess I can console myself on that it is even more snag free.

Anybody got a time machine I can borrow?

(Chester County)

Bought a SW 642, installed CT laser grips and snap caps and still had a hard time being on target due to trigger pull. My gunsmith polished the internal parts and installed with wolf springs and pulls much better. Now when I squeeze the trigger there's just a 2 to 3 inch pull to the right at the target.

Since it's new I believe I need to put enough rounds thru it.

Smile Re: S&W 38-2 action

Yup, shoulda spent the money on the 638's trigger. The 642 is functional and I am a sucker for stainless although the cheap finish is just that. I will still stick by my 38-2 as a superior carry piece. Just paranoid about rust.
    Air Weights- nice to carry, tough to shoot.

(Cumberland County)

My favorite J frame so far. Mine was made in 1992 and had a trigger far superior to any current manufacture Js.

Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I am told the piece was not (or barely) fired. I played with some snap caps and it is GREAT! The 642, however, with snap caps in it, fatigues my trigger finger after 20 pulls. I literally start to slow down and get sore! I keep waiting for the action to ease up a bit. I do not want to invest in an action job or new spring now. Should have stuck with the 638 and done it then. I have heard that the "hammerless" version has a slightly worse feel. I guess I can console myself on that it is even more snag free.

Anybody got a time machine I can borrow?
    I'd suggest the Apex kit. I have it in my 442 (same as your 642, just black) and it makes a world of difference. I'd say it makes my 442 comparable to my 38-2, or close. They really do work wonders. My only caveat is installation. If you're not comfortable taking the side plate off your revolver have someone else do it, preferably a competent gunsmith.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Smile Re: S&W 38-2 action

Thanks for all the replies and the useful info. I appreciate them all, folks.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

The best double action pull that I've ever felt was a Colt Python circa 1977.

My 38 (no dash) is okay but nothing to write home about. I especially don't like the narrow grooved trigger.