Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default What Should I Know?

I was born and raised in Pittsburgh, PA (Allegheny County) but moved to South Carolina when I was 18-19 years old, so I never owned any weapons in PA.

In a few months, I'll be moving back to Pittsburgh. During my time down here, I regularly visit the Pittsburgh area (5-7 times a year average, from anywhere for a week to a few months).

I'll be moving back with countless pistols, shotguns, rifles, and even a few ever so evil black rifles. From what I've asked on here previously, I was told there wasn't a such thing as gun registration or magazine capacity limits.

However, I'm confused after reading some of the horror stories on here about people being pulled over and their weapons being confiscated because they didn't come back to the person's name when they were called in.

Since, all of my weapons were purchased here in SC and mostly through private sales.. which means if my gun(s) were to be ran, they'd more than likely come back to somebody else's name since there's no registration here in SC.

To avoid any hassles, headaches, or hold-ups, would I be better off just purchasing my a duplicate of my favorite CC's in PA? Is there anything else I should know?

(York County)

Default Re: What Should I Know?

If you're that concerned about it just take them to your local FFL and have them transferred to you. Much cheaper than buying replacements.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Allegheny County)

I agree, it'd be cheaper to do so. But is it necessary or required? Is there anything else I should know?

(York County)

As to what else you should know, start with the 'stickies' for this section, ask any specific questions that arise.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Monroe County)

Just carry a photocopy of the receipt of your carry gun in your wallet, usually the cops will settle for that.

(Allegheny County)

If the firearms you are worried about possess sentimental value, I would recommend carrying something else. Not only is there a chance for it to be siezed illegally, but if you are involved in a lethal force incident it will probably be bagged as evidence and from there run the risk of abusive ham-handling, and possible sticky-fingered dissapearance after the close of the case.

If its simply a pistol that fits you well and is still in production, I wouldn't worry about it. You'd probably pay way to much buying duplicates if you can even FIND them due to the recent widespread panic.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    If you're that concerned about it just take them to your local FFL and have them transferred to you. Much cheaper than buying replacements.
    This would be the route I would take if I was concerned about it. Also, you better not be some Clemson fan. You can just stay right there

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Northampton County)

A lot of horror stories? I think it's pretty rare.

There is no registration in PA, and you can't register your guns. That being said, for handguns, if you ran them through an FFL the State Police would keep a record of it.

How often do you get pulled over? I haven't been pulled over in the 5 years that I have lived here, except the one time they were actually looking for me.

How often are you searched when you are pulled over? I've never been searched in over 40 years.

So why are you so concerned it would come up? Are you one of those people that likes to tell cops you have guns in the car when you get pulled over? That's probably not a good idea, and not required in PA.