Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Wink Buy the gun I really want, or the gun I can get?

I'm going to be buying my first handgun soon. Would already have one but had to clear up a mistake the county made. :/

Anyways, I really would like to buy a sig p226 Dark Elite 9mm. I see them on gunbroker every once in awhile but would rather buy from my LGS. They looked early January and found nothing. They did have my second choice, a FNX 9 and it did fit my hand nicely.

So should I continue to wait for this nonsense to die down and buy what I want after some time, or buy what I can get now? Obviously the Fnx is about $400 cheaper, but I have heard some complaints on its fit and finish. I believe you get what you pay for, but that has bit me before.

What are your thoughts? Surely others have faced this in their purchasing past, I'd like to hear if you were satisfied or left wandering about the green grass next door

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Buy the gun I really want, or the gun I can get?

I'm kinda in the same boat. For months, my next purchase was going to be a rifle. Of course, all hell breaks loose and it's either nothing to be found or it's obnoxiously overpriced. I have many, many people telling me to just wait and that's what I've done. Sooner or later the right thing will come out and you and myself will be glad we waited.

I vote wait for what you want. The Sig may command a premium but there's a reason for it. Sit tight, wait a few months for the crap to die off and you'll be glad you did.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by RaggedEdge View Post
    I'm going to be buying my first handgun soon. Would already have one but had to clear up a mistake the county made. :/

Anyways, I really would like to buy a sig p226 Dark Elite 9mm. I see them on gunbroker every once in awhile but would rather buy from my LGS. They looked early January and found nothing. They did have my second choice, a FNX 9 and it did fit my hand nicely.

So should I continue to wait for this nonsense to die down and buy what I want after some time, or buy what I can get now? Obviously the Fnx is about $400 cheaper, but I have heard some complaints on its fit and finish. I believe you get what you pay for, but that has bit me before.

What are your thoughts? Surely others have faced this in their purchasing past, I'd like to hear if you were satisfied or left wandering about the green grass next door

Personally I don't understand the new Sig hype. The prices are absolutely ridiculous. Plus they tack on $100 here and $100 there for things like diamond plate, elite darkness, scorpions, and all sorts of other nonsense.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Montgomery County)

Have you actually tried out both guns?

(Allegheny County)

Buy one now. Buy the other later.

Problem solved.

I have the answers to all of life's little problems.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lancaster County)

I would buy a good used gun that you can live with. Then when you get what you want, resell the used one, get the one you want and hopefully come close to breaking even!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Buy one now. Buy the other later.

Problem solved.

I have the answers to all of life's little problems.
    ^^ This

Whichever one you buy, you'll wind up buying another later
    Let us hope for the best, but let us also prepare for the worst.

(Delaware County)

I'm in the same situation you are in right now. I have been looking for 1 of 2 1911s to surface. I found one on gunbroker, but a bidding war broke out. I'm not paying 30% over msrp for anything.
    I even started looking at other guns I hadn't considered, but would really like a specific gun.

Sit tight, sooner or later the smoke has to clear. Your not the only one ''circling the airport'' looking for a specific gun.
    Not that it helps but, I'm glad I've got company. I was sure that I was the only one.....lol.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Montgomery County)

I would hold out for the one you want... I can't count on two hands how many times I've "settled" on another gun because I couldn't find the one I really wanted... Then, once I do, I try to sell the gun I settled for and take an absolute bath on it.

At most, find something used and cheaper to hold you over...

(Allegheny County)

Well my friend has a German made sig and its a nice gun. Personally I like the look and configuration of a 1911 ( John Moses Browning was a firearm savant) but in my research, it seems like I should put that on hold and not be a first purchase. Also the round count is low, 45 is expensive( I know they make 9mm and 10mm, but that's not a true 1911 in my mind) and the price to get something that works well is even more money ( Sti lawman or duty one looks like the best "cheap" one I'd consider and that's 12-1400)

I like that the sig is a metal frame, I like the look of the beavertail, and I like that out of the box it's accurate and reliable. I don't like the idea of having a gun that's particular with ammo. And I don't want to have to modify a new gun to make it right. Sig hits it for me.
    Like I said the fnx is nice but the gap between the slide and frame, other peoples issues with fitment and magazines, just doesn't inspire.

So that's why I like sig. Also, as long as it was without issue, I know I'd enjoy the FNX.
    Around and around I spin. If I could only buy em both.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast