Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Best ideas for security......

Given that criminals troll threads like this, try to keep any specific information that could help them from being posted; speak in generalities if possible.

All that being said, in 2011 we had a burglary and I had guns stolen. After that incident, security became a year long project I undertook. We now have multiple cameras recording 24/7 in and around the house. We have outside lights which are motion activated. Walk into the beam, set off the lights, and be recorded. Also in the house are motion sensors on every floor. The system also has redundancies....if the phone line is cut (a favorite trend of criminals now) we have cell phone backup which will call the police. We have a backup generator which kicks on automatically if the power goes out to keep the system running. We have other things too which I will not mention here.

All that being said, I am always looking for good ideas from others and what they are doing in regards to their security. So as much as you can share, I would be curious of any innovative ideas you might be employing.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Cambria County)

Default Re: Best ideas for security......

I have a few of these in my house, wired to the alarm and to its own switch...

http://burglarbomb.com/Repulsar-I.aspx

and quite a few other security measures....
    You can only draw so many lines in the sand before you are backed into a corner...

Quote Originally Posted by FAL-SHOOTER View Post
    I have a few of these in my house, wired to the alarm and to its own switch...

http://burglarbomb.com/Repulsar-I.aspx

and quite a few other security measures....
    I have thought of putting something like that in around the safe which would spray pepper spray or something of the equivalent.

(Wayne County)

What if a criminal "goes blind" from that device? Wouldn't that fall into the catagory of being a "trap"? Like a guillotine in a window? Unfortunately, I think there could be lawsuits.

Quote Originally Posted by SkullBone View Post
    What if a criminal "goes blind" from that device? Wouldn't that fall into the catagory of being a "trap"? Like a guillotine in a window? Unfortunately, I think there could be lawsuits.
    A trap???? I didn't put a Cheeseburger inside the front door tempting him to come in.

Not to mention that pepper spray is used everyday against BG's, unlike guillotines. Sorry, but your analogy is pathetic.

Shouldn't have been in my house without an invitation.
    Last edited by ShooterInPA1; February 25th, 2013 at 08:38 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post
    A trap???? I didn't put a Cheeseburger inside the front door tempting him to come in.

He does have a point, there have been cases where a property owner was sued for making a trap where a burglar was injured/killed. I believe at least one cases was where a burglar was electrocuted by the trap.

It's something to think about, because I don't believe the Castle Doctrine would protect you.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    He does have a point, there have been cases where a property owner was sued for making a trap where a burglar was injured/killed. I believe at least one cases was where a burglar was electrocuted by the trap.

It's something to think about, because I don't believe the Castle Doctrine would protect you.
    Pepper spray is used every day in the street; why couldn't I employ it in my house?

Amazed to see so many concerned about the welfare of the criminals.

(Lancaster County)

Pepper spray is used every day in the street; why couldn't I use it in my house?
    Because it would technically be spraying indiscriminately at anyone that may enter. That would include Firefighters that would actually have a legal reason to enter your home when you're not there.

It's something to look into if you could be held liable for any damages from it's use. Your Home Owner's Insurance probably wouldn't cover you either. Just something to think about.

Amazed to see so many concerned about the welfare of the criminals.
    You're misinterpreting my concern. I'm concerned about you being in a world of legal hurt.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Wayne County)

Not to mention that pepper spray is used everyday against BG's, unlike guillotines. Sorry, but your analogy is pathetic.

Totally understood. I was just pointing out how a liberal / aclu / shifty lawyer might try and attack that "trap" and defend a dirtbags "rights". Hell, if I could afford a troop of attack baboons I'd do it.

(Northumberland County)

German Shepherds. We have two, a 250 lb tag team.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast