Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Best ideas for security......

Quote Originally Posted by FAL-SHOOTER View Post
    I have a few of these in my house, wired to the alarm and to its own switch...

http://burglarbomb.com/Repulsar-I.aspx

and quite a few other security measures....

Holy shit. I've never even heard of anything like that before! Awesome.

The only thing left for you to get is sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!

LOL!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

+1 on the dogs I have 2 Persa Canarios and if they can get past them they can have it.

(Bucks County)

Very general, but useful tips:

Don't keep all your eggs in one basket. Keeping firearms or valuables spread out may increase the risk of one cache being stolen, while greatly reducing the chance that you loose everything. Personally that means storing valuable items in more than 4 places.

Include redundancy in your plan. Locks, alarms, motion sensors, and cameras can all be defeated. If you stack them up you increase the chances that the burglar/intruder misses something. Having a fantastic safe is great, but it is even better if your safe is never found.

Do not rely on standard house deadbolts. Have some high-end deadbolts installed by a professional locksmith as standard locks are super easy to defeat. Anyone with access to the internet can purchase and learn to use a set of lock picks very quickly.

You are your best defense tool. Paying attention to changes in your surroundings, making sure you remember to lock up etc will greatly reduce your chances of some kind of attack or burglary.

(Carbon County)

+2 for dogs. We have 3 and they are part of the family. No technology will ever beat their instinct to warn and protect the pack. When they start barking, I'm confident that any potential perp is going to think this house just ain't worth it. Do yourself a favor, go to your local shelter let a dog pick you, yes pick you, take him home and you'll never regret it.

(Allegheny County)

+3 (or is it 4 now?) on the dog. Even a lazy dog will know someone is inside his/her property long before any electronic system does. And the dog will know if it's friend or foe insticually.

And as long as its at least of medium size, a dog WILL help you in a fight.

(Bucks County)

Along the lines of the "trap defense" for lack of better description, please be careful with that. As a firefighter, a first responder may, but hopefully never have to, enter your home to save life or property. Please be mindful of this. I don't want to be injured because somebody felt it necessary to booby trap the area around their safe.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA1749 View Post
    +2 for dogs. We have 3 and they are part of the family. No technology will ever beat their instinct to warn and protect the pack. When they start barking, I'm confident that any potential perp is going to think this house just ain't worth it. Do yourself a favor, go to your local shelter let a dog pick you, yes pick you, take him home and you'll never regret it.
    What he said.

(Allegheny County)

My friend had his apartment broken into and the dog led them around the place pointing out the valuables.

Good dog!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA1749 View Post
    Another +1.

Also, the burglar bomb does appear to be a potential liability if sued.

(Chester County)

OP were your guns taken from a safe in the burglary? Just curious because I live in an area where I wouldn't expect a fast police response to a burglar alarm. I am also concerned that while a cctv system might help catch or deter criminals it is not a physical barrier.

I would like to conceal and secure my guns while keeping them accessable, i am thinking within walls and furniture primarily. Most of that would be custom, but I love to see what others have done.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast