Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default newbie 3-gun ammo question

The wife and I have just discovered what 3-gun is. I know, home's under a rock . We're still reading up on it and have more questions than answers at the moment. I'm assuming that the rifle and pistol rounds are the same fmj rounds we put through paper (is this correct?). What is the typical shotgun round for 3-gun? Is it the same #8 shells we use for clays? slugs? both?

(Blair County)

Default Re: newbie 3-gun ammo question

Quote Originally Posted by alethialogos57 View Post
    The wife and I have just discovered what 3-gun is. I know, home's under a rock . We're still reading up on it and have more questions than answers at the moment. I'm assuming that the rifle and pistol rounds are the same fmj rounds we put through paper (is this correct?). What is the typical shotgun round for 3-gun? Is it the same #8 shells we use for clays? slugs? both?
    Here's a link to the IDPA multi-gun rules:
    http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPA_D...10_booklet.pdf

Some clubs post separate rules for their matches - with minimum caliber requirements, optics, round counts for each category. Tracer and steel penetrator ammo may be prohibited at the range due to potential damage to targets. For shotgun, birdshot works fine and some slugs may be required for specific stages. Pump and semi-auto shotguns are common-use one that is reliable. For rifle, fmj is common-expensive hunting ammo is not needed. For handgun, lead or jacketed loads work fine.

The best suggestion that I can give you is to take what you have available, go to a club match, and work from there. It doesn't have to be an equipment race, and you will get a much better idea of what seems to work when you see what other shooters use. My experience is that most people are more than willing to answer questions and spend time to help a new shooter get involved.

(Allegheny County)

Rifle: AE223, XM223, and home seem to be the most common. The big rule is nothing that a magnet will stick too!!! I am sure there are a few clubs that will let you shoot m855 and brown bear, but even thin steel jackets like brownbear quickly trash a hardened steel target.

When I was out in CO and shot longer range matches (500 +yds), most people shot 55 gr for simplicity. I think alot more eastern shooters shooters favor heavier bullets for those long 200 yd shots.

Pistol: Cheapest round possible, unless you are contending with MGM spinners.

Shotgun: Slugs that shoot well in your gun (and that you know the hold over to 100 yds), shotshells that are cheap and run in YOUR gun (#8 for most targets, #6 for longer range so you don't have to choke up).

PS IDPA style 3 gun matches are not very common. Most matches have their own rules.
    Last edited by villageidiot; February 23rd, 2013 at 05:26 PM.

(Bedford County)

AT the matches we run rifle and handgun ammo is generally fmj's. No AP ammo that could damage a steel target!

As far as shotgun the cheapest shot will usually suffice on most steel targets. We sometime mix it up requiring buckshot and slugs. So it is a good bet to buy the cheapest shot that cycles in your shotty and get some slugs and buckshot. That way your covered.
    <a href=http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehosting/2175485722f4a1b35.jpg target=_blank>http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehost...722f4a1b35.jpg</a>

"A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997