Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Dauphin County)

Default Re: Should I shoot or should I store M1911A1 Army (1944), Ortgies 7.65mm, Rug. Sec. S

I'd shoot them both, since the gunsmith looked them over. I wouldn't use either as regular range guns, not just because of their age but also because of ammo costs. But they are supposed to be fired, otherwise they're paper weights.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Should I shoot or should I store M1911A1 Army (1944), Ortgies 7.65mm, Rug. Sec. S

I'd keep them in a nice, cozy place most of the time, but bring them out for a little warm up every so often.

Again thanks all for the comments. It's been helpful. I think I'll shoot the M1911 for a few rounds then preserve for history. I just can't not know what it was like to shoot my dads pistol. For the Ortgies...that will be very hard not to shoot more so. The engineering is really amazing. The seams in the components are phenomenally tight. And given the gunsmith was amazed at the original condition after complete disassembly, his first words were, "I'd shoot them, just not a lot." I bought a tan and army green Pelican 1200 cases to store them in.
    A voice of clarity in a sea of noise @ElucidateALL

(York County)

the 1911 was prolly bought from DCM, the security six is the toughest double action 38/357 revolver ever made, heads and tails more durable than a K frame Smith, and the Ortgies is most highly valued if Nazi marked, as many were. they were used as a substitute standard in Fance and would have a waffen mark, prolly an eagle, on the right side of frame, IIRC. Nazi marked is $600 in excellent condx, as opposed to $400 without.

(Tioga County)

I'm a believer that in order to maintain things that were designed to do something, you need to use it occasionally.

It's like my friend that has a Ferrari. Before he bought it, the maintenance problems that had been fixed on it were all due to the car sitting and not being driven. Now he's had it for a few years, he just polishes it with a diaper and looks at it and drives it once a year. On the outside it looks great, but on the inside it's probably rotting again.

So if something is functional, use it and shoot those guns. They'll appreciate it.

Thanks for feedback. I don't think it was purchased via DCM. My dad was a capt in army during WWII. I believe it was his. He was a dr stationed in Fairbanks. Not much opportunity to shoot.

Per ortgies...dang no eagle stamp on frame unless its only visible disassembled.

Per Security Six. Thanks! It seems rock solid. Not the biggest revolver fan. But all this can change. My basic firearms course is mid may. Hard to believe but classes 4 days a week booked solid 2 mo out.

Can't wait to shoot them all.
    Last edited by Elucidate; March 30th, 2013 at 01:49 AM.
    A voice of clarity in a sea of noise @ElucidateALL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123