Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Shopping

(Montgomery County)

Default Gun Shopping

I hope this is where my question goes about gun shopping. For those that don't know, I am very new to guns, and just got my LTCFA yesterday. (be gentle..we all have to start somewhere)

I've been doing a lot of research online about the first gun I would like to purchase, and I went down to French creek yesterday to check it out.

I'm going to buy a S&W 686 2.5 Barrel Dist Comb. 7 shot.(my mind is made up)

My question is Do most gun dealers in the area accept "trade ins" on new guns? The reason I ask, is cause my father wants to get rid of 2 handguns. How does this process work?

Is gun buying like car shopping? Is the price the price..or is there more wiggle room on used guns only? The reason I ask is..I don't want to look stupid and get taken over. I'm also a business owner, and fully understand these dealers are here to make money..just like I am. My whole point is..I want to get my money's worth with the gun,customers service etc. If I'm paying $670.00 for this gun..I want to feel like I got the whole package with whom I buy this from.

There was 1 member here who gave me a few different dealers in the area. Are these dealers just like FC and have guns on display that I can look at? Is it possible they will have the particular S&W I'm going to buy?

I saw what French creek had to offer. One of the pluses that I like is..I can pay an hourly charge for someone to teach me gun safety and teach me about the gun I'm buying. I also like that fact that they have NRA instructors on hand to do that.

I want to see what other retailers have to offer as well for the same gun, and service.

My last question is..how am I supposed to know the going rate on this particular revolver I wish to buy?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Ozone; April 4th, 2008 at 08:33 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Gun Shopping

Most will trade, some will sell on consignment (get the terms in writing beforehand) your best price would be to sell them yourself.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Venango County)

Seriously.......do not trade your fathers handguns.....they will mean more to you than any you buy.....

As for the rest.....just shop around, have the fun of that is fondling all the new guns

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

The other dealers I mentioned do have guns on display. Kings is a little light on revolvers, though.

You are likely to do a lot better selling your guns yourself than you are selling them to a dealer. There is a classified section on this website. Dealers are there to make money, and they never offer what your gun is worth, since they really can't sell it for any more than you can.

In addition to the dealers I mentioned earlier, Cabellas does have a good stock of guns, and we've bought from them also. It's more of a hassle, though, and their prices aren't the best, strictly average unless you happen to find one on sale. Kings flat slaughters them on prices for components, if you reload. It's a good place to look if you can't find something you like somewhere else. It's about an hour drive from Royersford.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Allegheny County)

heres one for $613, no taxes online, shipping included.
    ship to a local FFL, try to find one that wont rape you on the fee to do the paperwork.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/43703

put your guns up in the classifieds here and sell them. It will take you longer, but youll get way more out of them.

(Montgomery County)

My father WANTS to get rid of these 2 particular handguns, and it's not about how much money he can get for them...just doesn't care for them at all(he has some other nice handguns to keep). I'm not 100% sure..but I think he said they were Kel-tec?

Me into reloading? I don't think I would have the nerve to get into part of it.

I am going to Cabela's in the near future here..will have to check out what they have.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    heres one for $613, no taxes online, shipping included.
    ship to a local FFL, try to find one that wont rape you on the fee to do the paperwork.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/43703

put your guns up in the classifieds here and sell them. It will take you longer, but youll get way more out of them.
    Shawn..thank you for posting that! Let me ask you or someone else can chime in.
    For example: French creek knows I've been eye balling this gun. If I bought the gun that you just posted, and had them do the paper work..do I look like the biggest douchbag on the face of the earth, cause I didn't buy it from them at a higher price? Or is it just business?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
    Shawn..thank you for posting that! Let me ask you or someone else can chime in.
    For example: French creek knows I've been eye balling this gun. If I bought the gun that you just posted, and had them do the paper work..do I look like the biggest douchbag on the face of the earth, cause I didn't buy it from them at a higher price? Or is it just business?
    some places will want to charge you more if you have them do the work on something they have in stock.
    other than that $ is $, Im sure they will take yours any way they can.

Look around for a local private FFL.
    I use http://www.gunrunnersofpa.com/ Todd is great, he is here on the forum, and he only charges $20. Dont know where you are, but I think Xringshooter is up by state colledge. Look around.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
    My father WANTS to get rid of these 2 particular handguns, and it's not about how much money he can get for them...just doesn't care for them at all(he has some other nice handguns to keep). I'm not 100% sure..but I think he said they were Kel-tec?

Me into reloading? I don't think I would have the nerve to get into part of it.

I am going to Cabela's in the near future here..will have to check out what they have.
    I like reloading because I know what I have rather some mass production ammo. that is maybe OK or maybe double charged or maybe close to the same as the shell I just fired but far off from the next one I am going to fire.

Just food for thought...

As far as your guns. I think you should know what you have and what is worth before you cash them in. I have a hard time getting rid of guns that are given to me. I know these are your fathers, but it sounds like he is giving them to you or trading them for you (same,same). AS others have said, most shops trade.

On the note of advertising your guns, keep in mind that if you advertise, you have people coming to you house, have your phone #, etc.... Who knows who might show up (ie. drug dealer, wife beater, etc...). In addition, you'll still have to go to an FFL to transfer your used guns.

Good Luck!!!

Just my opinion.

Sorry, I also wanted to add that I think you should shop around. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. It's one thing if you know the guys you are dealing with. It is another if you don't know the fellows or are uncomfortable with them.
    Last edited by wryekid; April 4th, 2008 at 09:29 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Brandon

(Allegheny County)

Well, I have both sold and bought from our classifieds. Never have starngers come to my home to check out my guns. You meet for the transaction at an FFL, or if long gun in an open public place. Or you require payment by mail in full first then ship FFL to FFL. You would have to be a complete tard to say "hey! I got guns ! anyone out there on the intraweb want to come check them out my home adress is........."

Ozone,
    Call buds on Monday, they do take trades also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast