Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Utah non resident carry in PA

Ok folks i am sure this is posted some were so my appologise up front for this post if i missed this some were else.

I will be moving out to PA soon and will try and get my non resident PA permit as well when I can but in the mean time.

I travel through PA to go to OH and WV to visit family and
    my questions are this.

1- Can i carry in PA with this permit?
    2- If i can does it have to be open carry or can i conceal carry?
    3- What is the law for transporting in a vechicle am I allowed to carry while driving with this permit?
    4- Anything i should be watchfull for as to not get in any trouble whith this permit.

Thanks for the help and cant wait to move to a gun friedly place and get away from the crazy state of CT.

(Snyder County)

Default Re: Utah non resident carry in PA

18 USC §926A - Interstate transportation of firearms
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Keep in mind that you must be legal as far as being able to lawfully possess and transport the firearm in BOTH your origin and destination states.

As far as carrying with a Utah permit, as on the PA Attorney General's website a Utah permit is honored here in PA. This means that as long as you follow the laws in PA, you're good to carry it loaded, concealed, and in your vehicle.

Going into this further, I'm taking it you're a resident of CT and have a Utah permit? If so, I don't know whether the Utah permit is valid or not anymore. Check the laws in Utah and make sure that you're still valid.

I'm not an attorney so I really can't make any more observations for you.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by shademtarmory View Post
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Keep in mind that you must be legal as far as being able to lawfully possess and transport the firearm in BOTH your origin and destination states.

As far as carrying with a Utah permit, as on the PA Attorney General's website a Utah permit is honored here in PA. This means that as long as you follow the laws in PA, you're good to carry it loaded, concealed, and in your vehicle.

Going into this further, I'm taking it you're a resident of CT and have a Utah permit? If so, I don't know whether the Utah permit is valid or not anymore. Check the laws in Utah and make sure that you're still valid.

Utah requires you to have a home state license/permit in order to obtain a Utah permit ONLY if your home state and Utah recognize each other's license/permit. CT does not honor Utah so the Utah permit would still be valid.

Thanks for the answers I am still in CT for a few more months sad to say and I have both my CT permit and my Utah permit which are still valid.

(Snyder County)

If you really wanted to you could apply for a PA LTCF now since you possess a license from another state. You'd just have to find a friendly Sheriff's Office who will issue LTCFs to out of state residents.

(Crawford County)

A good site to check state laws on concealed carry and other firearm issues. http://www.usacarry.com/

(Chester County)

Arguably FOPA transport would not cover a trip where the origin and destination are in contiguous states.

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...ly-report.html

If you really wanted to you could apply for a PA LTCF now since you possess a license from another state. You'd just have to find a friendly Sheriff's Office who will issue LTCFs to out of state residents.
    Since CT issues CCWs, the OP must have a home state CT CCW (which the OP has) to get a Pa LTCF

Also the UT CCW does not protect you from a technical violation of the GFSZA while within 1000' of a non-UT school.
    Last edited by tl_3237; April 10th, 2013 at 06:13 PM.
    IANAL

Thanks for all the help and site info I will get my non PA ASAP as well.

Going to be moving up to the Erie/Meadville area soon.