Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default FN Five Seven....whats so special?

I have been seeing more and more about this FN Five Seven, i guess its claim to fame is the 20 round mags, low recoil (less then 9mm) and a few other things, but whats the hype with them? Gun is very expensive, hard to find ammo? I guess this post is geared to why should i or shouldnt I buy one? I have no real fire to buy one, just want to know more about why these are so crazed, and if these are really worth the high list price.

Default Re: FN Five Seven....whats so special?

I suppose if it's worth it to you, then it is worth it. As far as the hype...it's a nasty little MF, and wicked accurate out of the box, to boot.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/index_fi...SlowMotion.htm
    Last edited by harold63; February 24th, 2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: removed quote
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Montgomery County)

waiting to see if the rock island .22TCM stays alive.

It's 1911 with 1 barrel for 9mm and 1 for .22TCM. lots cheaper than a fn57 if RIA ever gets their ass in gear.

That RIA is a neat 1911, the videos of that .22TCM are pretty wicked

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

I think that the FN is one seriously unattractive firearm. The Borchardt is better looking.
    Last edited by Grey Bearded One; February 24th, 2013 at 10:53 PM.

(Allegheny County)

with the right round it can pierce body armor (you can't get them). it shoots nice but the ammo is insanely expensive. i had one last year and sold it. i had problems with the slide and fit of the polymer frame. i wasn't going to invest 200+ rounds in hopes of breaking it in. i did however make quite a profit so no hard feelings.

so to help answer your question i would not buy this gun again, and no way going to pay $2500 for it. for me its a $500 gun and i would be hard pressed to pay that.

some advice is right now advoid these types of guns FiveSeven, pmr 30, KSG, UTS 15. they are not worth it and are way overhyped for value. its the same guys pushing the gun bubble. now if you can get one for price and double your money thats another thing. you can look up some of the issue with these weps and there is a host of them. FNH has really been letting me down lately... and i'm a big fan i have a scar 16 & 17 but their handguns lately have been poor.

*forgot to add, for a $1000 retail gun my biggest pet peeve was the flash on the clamshell and some cosmetic issues of the plastic. i don't understand why they can't hire a real plastics engineer to tell them where to place the gates and how to post process it. its near shameful.
    Last edited by mike12_nguyen; February 25th, 2013 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    I think that the FN is one seriously unattractive firearm. The Borchardt is better looking.
    It is kinda ugly, isn't it...
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Bucks County)

The Five seveN, like others stated, penetrates body armor with the right load. That's the real claim to fame. FN designed it in response to a NATO mandate for a cartridge with better terminal performance, range and accuracy when compared to 9mm while being able to penetrate a CRISAT vest.

As an across the board replacement for 9x19 it fails: Terminal performance from FMJ 9mm rounds eclipses anything from 5.7mm in spite of claims the bullet tumbles after entering flesh. The Five-seveN and P90 are thus specialized weapons systems best utilized by operators facing armored opponents. It doesn't make a good all-around defensive cartridge.

That said for sporting purposes 5.7 can be a lot of fun. Low recoil, accurate, high capacity. Great for plinking if prices were reasonable (which they aren't). With the mentioned .22TCP and KelTec PM30 out there the Five-seveN continues to sell only because of it's image as an elite tactical weapon (which in fairness it is...with the right ammo).

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Max View Post
    The Five-seveN and P90 are thus specialized weapons systems best utilized by operators facing armored opponents.
    That's why SGC used the P90 against the Jaffa.

(Luzerne County)

I must admit that I am surprised about how expensive the FiveSeven pistol became. When I bought mine, it was hundreds of dollars less than they are now.

Ugly? I have rarely seen an ugly gun. (Beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that) The Fiveseven is a full sized auto. Quite pointable. VERY accurate out of the box...as much so as many custom guns.
    For its size, it is a lightweight - loaded with a 20 round magazine, it weighs less than my Glock 36 does with six. Loud. Minimal recoil allows for a fast second, third, or fourth shot if that is important to you.
    The most frequent comparison of the ammo is to the .22 magnum. The 5.7x28 has a higher MV fired from a five inch pistol barrel than the .22 magnum does from a rifle. The .22 magnum fired from a pistol does not compare at all.
    Ammo cost......in today's ammo buying craze, the prices may be very high....I reload mine and so do not know what the ammo is selling for. I do know that ammo prices in general are insanely elevated at the moment.
    Under more normal conditions, 5.7x28 factory ammo was selling for about $20 a box.....higher than some lower than others.
    Premium ammo....the stuff from Elite Ammunition....was the same price per round as other premium brands. (Elite Ammo ....nearly 2100fps from a five inch barrel)
    I bought mine for use as a field gun.....a varmint rifle that I could put in my pocket. It fills that role quite well.
    Pete
    Last edited by Pete D.; February 25th, 2013 at 07:29 AM.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast