Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: **NEW** Pennsylvania Gun Rights flyer {DRAFT} <--Please check it out

Fantastic!!!

Long over due. Great job. When it’s completely done I would like to keep them in my shop if you don’t mind.

(Cambria County)

Default Re: **NEW** Pennsylvania Gun Rights flyer {DRAFT} <--Please check it out

Wow, this looks really good! I am sooo glad to have found the PAFOA so I can get choice info like this. Thanks a lot Pa. Patriot for your efforts here, I think it really makes a difference!

I am by no means an editor, and much of this is likely getting into the 'nit-picking' territory, but I hope it helps.

---These are listed in no particular order---

I did not see that this document is dated. It may likely be important that there be mention that this information is only accurate as of 1 APR 2008, or whatever.

Under "Useful Resources and Links":

Handgun Law .us

or

HandgunLaw.us

Under, "Facts About Open Carry"

...except in vehicles, cities of the first class (Philiadelphia), and where...

Or

...except in vheicles, cities of the first class (cities with 1 million+ residents. Currently only Philladelphia), and where...

Under "Facts About Open Carry"

Open carry in a city of the first class requires a valid PA LTCF.

OR

Open carry in a city of the first class requires a valid LTCF recognized by PA.

Under, "Places Off-Limits While Carrying in PA:"

State Parks (except while in vehicle)

Or

State Parks (except while in vehicle) Note: HBxxxx may overturn this. See www.tinyurl.xxxx

Under, "Places Off-Limits While Carrying in PA"

- Airport Terminals (secure areas, common areas OK)

OR

- Areas Beyond Security Checkpoints in Airports (common areas, pick-up/drop-off, are okay)

Under "Places Off-Limits While Carrying in PA"

Carrying concealed (with LTCF) or open in establishments that sell or serve...

This one got me to thinking that it may be wise to make a disclaimer regarding private property more clear. You can carry at the bar, unless the bar asks you to leave. It would not be good for some person to argue with the bartender, then the cops that s/he is 'allowed' to be there because this handy flyer says so.

Perhaps a section that briefly covers that signs need only be followed in relation to trespassing issues would be worth considering.

Any chance for getting the 4 rules on there? I know it is an individual responsibility, but gawd, the public could surely use the information.

1. Every weapon is always loaded.
    2.Never allow the muzzle of your weapon to cover anything you are not prepared to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are prepared to engage your target.
    4. Always clearly identify your target, be aware of what is around and beyond it.

Under, "General Facts About Firearms"

** All firems enforcment actions must be based on state law. Cities, townships...

Although there are differences, this may be somewhat redundant in light of other info on the flyer. (See, "Facts About Open Carry") Since space is really tight, there may be something else better placed here.

The above are only suggestions, I am sure there are many constraining factors that I would not be aware of unless I were actually trying to format the whole thing.

Thanks for making these flyers!

(Lebanon County)

Under GENERAL FACTS ABOUT FIREARMS, Transporting:

Without a LTCF, or other state permit, handguns may only
    be transported, unloaded, to and from specific activities and
    locations. To and from: The place of purchase, repair, range,
    hunting location, etc. For a complete list and comprehensive
    limitations please see 18 PACS §6106
    You specifically mention handguns. Under Exceptions, #4 includes rifles. (But not shotguns?)
    What is actually correct here?
    Ironic, I had a conversation about this very thing with TheBuckslayer earlier tonight.

§ 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.--Any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

1. Constables, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens, or their deputies, policemen of this Commonwealth or its political subdivisions, or other law-enforcement officers.
    2. Members of the army, navy or marine corps of the United States or of the National Guard or organized reserves when on duty.
    3. The regularly enrolled members of any organization duly organized to purchase or receive such weapons from the United States or from this Commonwealth.
    4. Any persons engaged in target shooting with rifle, pistol, or revolver, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the cartridges or shells are carried in a separate container and the rifle, pistol or revolver is unloaded.
    5. Officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry a concealed firearm.
    6. Agents, messengers and other employees of common carriers, banks, or business firms, whose duties require them to protect moneys, valuables and other property in the discharge of such duties.
    7. Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of any such person, having in his possession, using or carrying a firearm in the usual or ordinary course of such business.
    8. Any person while carrying a firearm unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police) or to a location to which the person has been directed to surrender firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the surrendered firearm.
    9. Persons licensed to hunt, take furbearers or fish in this Commonwealth, if such persons are actually hunting, taking furbearers or fishing or are going to the places where they desire to hunt, take furbearers or fish or returning from such places.
    10. Persons training dogs, if such persons are actually training dogs during the regular training season.
    11. Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Cambria County)

Eh, the "City of the First Class" thing is bugging me a bit... I can't really think of a way to work it in, but it may be helpful to squeeze in a spot where "City of the First Class" COTFC is clearly defined, it is explained that Philla is the only one, and that Pgh is a far cry away, in second place. Mebby after that, an acronym such as COTFC or CFC could save space in other places?

*shruggs* I'm sure you are mulling over a bunch of tough calls, just trying to help.

(Cambria County)

WOW, great job. I love it. Can't wait to get the original. Even my betterhalf will be able to read and understand this one. Very well done, pat yourself on the back. You deserve it.

My suggestions are down below. Take them or leave them.

Selected Pennsylvania Statutes & Laws A web address to all stautes so I can find out what some of the codes below are. Like the 6109.
    Pertaining to Firearms
    § 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.
    (a) Offense defined.--Any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any
    person who carries a

** Cities, towns and municipalities are prohibited
    by PA law from enacting laws prohibiting concealed
    or open carry. Ref: 18.PACS §6120)
    Lose the **. I was looking for a reference down below. Thought that was what this meant.

FACTS ABOUT OPEN CARRY
    In Pennsylvania, persons who are not prohibited by
    law from owning firearms may openly carry a handgun
    in plain sight with no license except in vehicles,
    cities of the first class (Philadelphia), and where prohibited
    specifically by statute.

What does this mean. Can you explain just a bit. Tell us where to look maybe. Trying to think like a newbie.

Brandishing & Disturbing the Peace:
    There is no “brandishing” or “distubing the peace” law in PA. Spelling

- Airport Terminals (secure areas, common areas OK) Examples to explain maybe.
    - Cities of the first class unless you hold a valid LTCF Explain that Phila only one in PA.

What is PASC and where do I find this at.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Wayne County)

For whatever it's worth ...

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to lead the Open Carry section with OPEN CARRY IS LEGAL IN PENNSYLVANIA with FACTS ABOUT OPEN CARRY below? My feeling is that the casual reader, non-resident, non-gun owner or enthusiast might not be bothered looking beyond the the facts line.

I think that the more people made aware of this fact the fewer complaints would be raised. It might help LEO's to avoid the confrontations reported here and things like what happened to Michelle in

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...xperience.html

I know space is a problem and you've done a hell of a job putting this together

Thank you.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    My suggestions are down below. Take them or leave them.
    For more detailed explanations and legal references, see the existing, OC-focused version (now with more legalese!).
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    For more detailed explanations and legal references, see the existing, OC-focused version (now with more legalese!).
    TOUCHE.......
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Allegheny County)

Lightbulb Re: **NEW** Pennsylvania Gun Rights flyer {DRAFT} <--Please check it out

Looks good. I just caught one grammatical error:
    Transporting: Long guns MUST be unloaded and it and
    ammunition must be in separate containers...
    Disagreement in plurality: "guns" is plural, but "it" is singular.

(Luzerne County)

Great work everyone! Thanks for all the help so far.
    I am getting ready to leave for the OC lunch
    (http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...-5-2008-a.html)

But I will be hard at work on this again tonight in order to have a "presentable" version for everyone on Sunday. Just in time to print for the Harrisburg rally

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast