Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Day of resistance rally 2/23/13

I attended the "Day of Resistance" rally yesterday at the courthouse Norristown/Montgomery county. Looking at the "Day of Resistance" site, this was a national event - looked like there were four or five across Pennsylvania. The event in Montgomery county was organized by Steve Piotrowski. The Norristown Patch put attendance at about 150. This was my first rally. My thoughts on going (to state the obvious) was to take an opportunity to do something in addition to the phone calls and emails i've sent to representatives, and the funds i've sent to gun advocacies. My impressions of the rally - it's always good to have more in the way of numbers, but considering the bad weather it was at least enough of a turnout to be noteworthy. I would say somewhere between 8-10 people were carrying long guns in addition to side arms. There were 5 speakers, among them state rep Daryll Metcalf. In my opinion, he did a very good job communicating the message that at this time second amendment rights are under attack nationally, and he discussed state legislation concerning the matter. As far as the organizers and other speakers, we are in agreement with the issue of second amendment rights. However, some of their other comments and language I did not completely identify with. My friend Rob said a few words at the beginning that better convey my feelings. In summary, it felt good to do something to counter the ongoing attempt at stripping our rights away. To see the video/pictures, and a clip of my friend Rob speaking, go to this link: www.norristown.patch.com

Default Re: Day of resistance rally 2/23/13

I wasn't at your rally, but I'm interested in what in particular you didn't identify with?

I'll go out on a limb and say there was a lot of talk about abortion, missing presidential birth certificates and all kinds of other things which doesn't really have a home in the gun rights debate?

It bothers me that people bring their pet side issues to a debate where they don't belong. I don't care if people believe in them, but these opinions will easily make the people we are trying to influence not take us seriously.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by vinlander View Post
    I wasn't at your rally, but I'm interested in what in particular you didn't identify with?

I'll go out on a limb and say there was a lot of talk about abortion, missing presidential birth certificates and all kinds of other things which doesn't really have a home in the gun rights debate?
    I'd like to know where you came up with that.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I'd like to know where you came up with that.
    He might have been at the Jan 19th rally in Harrisburg...

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by LBaker View Post
    He might have been at the Jan 19th rally in Harrisburg...
    That was going on?

(Montgomery County)

Unfortunately I was unable to make the Jan. 19 Harrisburg rally. I saw one sign with religious connotation, but as far as scheduled speakers one did bring up the birther issue. I don't want to sound like I'm nitpicking or being overly critical of people making a like minded effort. My issue specifically is second amendment and infringement on my right to own and bear arms. When there is the screeching chant of "revolution", or one of the scheduled speakers is referencing the twenty year drought of blood for the tree of liberty, I understand the sentiment but , let me say it this way, I am a big believer in a disciplined message. Some of what the speakers said and they way they said it doesn't fall under a focused, disciplined message. I thought the state rep did a very good job of explaining legislation/and where the threat is coming from. I heard the organizer of the event say that this is not a republican, democrat or independent issue. I think that's being overly simplistic\unrealistic. I'm not trying to open up a can of worms here, but in my view I think there is clearly a party and an attached mindset to that party that is very anti 2A. Overwhelmingly I think it was a positive outcome to draw attention to the attack on the second amendment.

(Lebanon County)

I attended a rally at one of the 'alternate sites' in Red Lion at the intersection of Rtes 24 & 74; the main group poised in front of a Wells Fargo bank and the smaller group was across the street in front of a pharmacy; the owner of a martial arts studio on an adjacent corner placed a pro-2nd Amendment statement on the marquee above the front door (building is a former theatre); at the peak I estimate @ 100 people gathered; the intersection is lined with American flags which added to the 'patriotic' feeling of the event; we had good responses from a bunch of drivers going thru the intersection (horns blowing and hands waving...even some folks yelling out the window); overall a nice event with respectable turnout given the crappy weather and the late planning of the event site...

there was a reporter from The York Daily Record; here's the story on their website... http://www.ydr.com/politics/ci_22654...ntrol-red-lion

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    That was going on?
    It was a little over the top at times. I don't mind using things like abortion and religion to make a point, but there was some droning on and on. There were certainly some extremist views.

Quote Originally Posted by LBaker View Post
    It was a little over the top at times. I don't mind using things like abortion and religion to make a point, but there was some droning on and on. There were certainly some extremist views.
    This ^

And the OP makes a good point about the revolutionary speeches. At least a little bit of saber rattling should be present, but worded extremely carefully. This should be a discussion of civil liberties, not putting the aristocracy in guillotines.

Believe what you like, that is a basic freedom and it is your right. But you need to understand something about the kind of people who oppose our view on gun rights, and that is the moment we use "abortion" or "god" (or anything else they don't agree with) in this discussion they will close their ears and their minds.

Any rational facts coming out of your mouth or the mouth of someone they consider affiliated with you will fall on deaf ears after that, or they will think you shouldn't be allowed to have a gun because of your antiquated/extremist/paranoid (in their minds) views.

Therefore we are best served by sticking to the subject and facts, and if we want to win this one, we have to stay focused and on track for the other side to see us as serious and uncompromising about our rights.