Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: HOuse Bill 521-$1 Million in Insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by knighted4 View Post
    Sounds like an infringement to me...how about you?

knighted4
    Sounds more like a poll tax to me.

Since it's unconstitutional to make someone pay a tax in order to vote (the old "poll taxes"), then it is also unconstitutional to require someone to purchase insurance before engaging in a legal and constitutionally protected right.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

This is just another way to try to reduce gun ownership by making it unaffordable for as many people as possible.
    ...and they have a plan...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-three View Post
    This is just another way to try to reduce gun ownership by making it unaffordable for as many people as possible.
    Especially those poor black people living in the intercity who need a gun for protection. This has to one of the most Racist bills I have ever seen.

This is directed towards the very people who vote for these politicians with out a thought of the consequences.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by schmol View Post
    Wouldnt it be more sensible if they were to require automobile drivers to have a million dollar insurance policy because more people drive cars
    Wouldn't it make more sense to make auto insurance mandatory. That way when people get into accidents no one is left holding the bill.

What?! It is mandatory?! Then why do I have to carry uninsured/underinsured coverage? You mean some people don't follow the law?! No...really?

(Dauphin County)

Hon. Ronald G. Waters
    6027 Ludlow Street Unit A
    Philadelphia, PA 19139
    (215) 748-6712
    Fax: (215) 748-1687

Congressman Waters,

I am truly troubled by PA House Bill 521 which you have introduced. What you are suggesting with this bill is no different than the poll taxes that were passed in the former Confederate States, the Jim Crow South in response to the Ratification if the 14th and 15th Amendment. The 15 Amendment was ratified to ensure that your ancestors, former slaves, Freedmen would have the same voting rights the same political freedoms as any American Citizen. The racist White Ruled State Governments passed literacy tests and poll taxes to deny former slaves the right to vote. If blacks could pay the poll taxes and pass the literacy tests, then they were terrorized into not exercising their constitutional rights by the Ku Klux Klan. As a result of “Black Code” laws that were also passed in the Jim Crow South, former slaves (FREEDMEN) could not own firearms and therefore not defend themselves against the tyranny of the mobs that would lynch them for exercising their rights. In your proposed legislation HB 521, what you suggest is in essence a tax to exercise a constitutionally guaranteed right. This is not only unconstitutional it is morally irreprehensible. I am extremely disappointed in your decision to propose such flawed legislation. I hope my letter has shed some light on your error in judgment and you decide to retract this dangerous bill. You and your ancestors have fought for your citizenship rights. Your proposed legislation would certainly undo that work and be a step backward away from freedom and one step closer to government oppression. I am certain that all former slaves, all freedmen, all blacks who were ever victimized by Poll Taxes, Literacy Test, and Klan mob violence are rolling over on their graves at the thought of such legislation.

These wonderful politicians keep adding more and more rediculous requirements to see what they can get away with. Where does it end.?

(Bucks County)

Cool Re: HOuse Bill 521-$1 Million in Insurance?

.....18 (xv) An individual who has failed to obtain firearm
    19 liability insurance as provided under subsection (e.1)....

basically if (god forbid) this passes and your insurance company drops you...they basically walk over to your house and take your toys.....really?

anyone up for buying a shore house in texas? Fishing, shooting, two weeks of pure freedom...I been lookin

(iii) May not cover any unlawful acts.
    So, who does this help? Are there thousands of people who are uncompensated for their injuries at the hands of lawful permit holders who injured them but did not commit any unlawful acts?

Couldn't an insurance company become your enemy in court by pressing for you to be convicted of any unlawful acts so as to not have to pay out on the policy? What is the purpose of the insurance then?

I would suggest that there are many more cases of people who are shot by those who:

-Are not lawful permit holders
    -Can not be lawful permit holders due to prohibitions (felons, drug users, drunkards, etc)
    -Are committing at least one other crime (burglary, robbery, assault, rape, carrying firearm within school zone, possessing a firearm while a felon, etc)
    -Are currently under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol
    -Are unpunished felons (probation, suspended sentence, on parole, on furlough, on bail, awaiting trial, etc)

Shouldn't we work on laws about the above situations, rather than worrying about people who have been vetted as likely the most law-abiding people in our state:

-Passed a PICS check to purchase the firearm to be carried
    -Passed a PICS check to obtain the permit to carry
    -Had the sheriff of current county agree in person that this person is ok to carry firearm
    -Had local CLEO agree in person (through either police card check or sheriff contact) that this person is ok to carry firearm
    -Provided names, addresses, and phone numbers of persons they could find who own and operate telephones

I'd think the above person should be the ones protected from new laws, while those listed previously should be the focus of all new laws.

Also, from his website:

Welcome to my website, which is designed to help you find information on the services and issues that matter most to residents of the 191st District. My office can help you with LIHEAP, PACE, the Children's Health Insurance Program, and financial aid programs for higher education. We can also assist you with: problems with insurance companies, utilities, state income tax forms or unemployment compensation PennDOT, tenant issues, foreclosure issues, eviction, food vouchers, rent rebates, welfare issues
    Sounds like a guy who wants to do nothing other than take as much public treasury money as possible (my money) and give it to his constituents. Look at all the links on his website too, making it as easy as possible to sign up for every kind of handout possible. F this guy and every one of his constituents too for voting for him and agreeing that they are not enough of human beings to do for themselves.

(Montgomery County)

Great. Next we can have Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Press liability insurance.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast