Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default How do I get the Cosmoline out of my Mosins wood stock?

I got my Mosin yesterday. It was $150 out the door with most of the accessories, a 20 round box of Silver Bear and the associated fees related with the transfer. Anyway I am thrilled with the rifle: Built in 1938, round receiver, metal and furniture in excellent shape. However the rifle has been soaked in Cosmoline to the point that it melts off onto my hand when I handle it. I have been reading online on removing Cosmo from the rifle. For the metal parts it's widely accepted that Simply Green and hot water will take care of the Cosmo followed by a coating of CLP Break Free will protect the parts from rust. However getting the Cosmoline out of the wood stock gets into a heated debate it seems. I have read so many different opinions and counter opinions on the internet my eyes are about to bleed.

Some say use heat. Not a problem but I won't put the stock in my oven, I don't mind using a hair drier or heat gun but it seems extremely time consuming and the other methods of using heat are too involved or the things required aren't available to me (Hard to use my attic when it's in the 20's). I really want to avoid using harsh chemicals on the stock because I want to maintain the original Russian shellac/finish. I am considering letting some Simple Green sit on the stock and then wiping it down with some hot water/rags (Not going to submerge the stock in water for obvious reasons) but I have concerns about the effectiveness of this method. Will that little bit of water swell the stock and is the Simple Green powerful enough to pull the Cosmoline out of the stock?

Just to let you guys know what I have available as far as cleaning products are concerned:

-Engine Degreaser
    -Simple Green (Diluted I believe)
    -Break Free CLP
    -Hoppes oil and cleaner

Thoughts? Also do you guys have a disassembly guide for beginners? Sadly, I don't have that tool used for breaking down a Mosin so hopefully regular screwdrivers won't strip the screws. I want to get this project underway today. Thanks. Here are two photo's to give you an idea how soaked the stock is in Cosmo:

Last edited by LifeInPa; February 23rd, 2013 at 01:53 PM.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: How do I get the Cosmoline out of my Mosins wood stock?

wrap it in newspaper, then gently use heat, it will draw it out. the idea condition would be to wrap it and put it in a hot car for a few hours.

If you want to preserve the shellac, don't use anything with alcohol in it. And be careful with hot water, the steam will also loosen up shellac.

(Bucks County)

easy off oven cleaner works great

I'd say your best be would be CLP. I use it on my Mosins and it's never harmed the shellac. I don't let it sit for long periods but wiping it off with a rag should be okay.

Recently did an SKS and the stock was drenched in cosmoline, tacky to the touch.

Used a heat gun to get it to the surface, wiped it with a paper towel a few times. Then covered it in oven cleaner. Wiped the over cleaner off and repeated the steps with the heat gun again. Then did another round with the oven cleaner. After that hung it above the coal stove for a couple days and add finish if desired.

Obviously you will want to do the above after the gun is torn down only leaving the stock. Did the inside of the stock as well where the action, barrel and etc goes.

Nice looking gun. Looks like you got a good one. A regular screwdriver works fine for taking a mosin apart. Here is a video that shows you how to do it. It takes a couple of minutes but he does show you how.

One of the things you might want to do is also take the bolt apart when cleaning for the first time. It will also have cosmoline in it and not cleaning it out can make the using the bolt more difficult than it should be. Here is a video showing you how to take the bolt apart.

Enjoy the new gun.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfac View Post
    wrap it in newspaper, then gently use heat, it will draw it out. the idea condition would be to wrap it and put it in a hot car for a few hours.
    I was thinking of putting the stock on top of some paper towels and sweating it out with a hair drier but most people seem to think it takes several hours of doing this to clear out the cosmo.

Quote Originally Posted by SigSauer226 View Post
    If you want to preserve the shellac, don't use anything with alcohol in it. And be careful with hot water, the steam will also loosen up shellac.
    Damn, that seems to eliminate most of the products I have.

Quote Originally Posted by brndwn View Post
    easy off oven cleaner works great
    I heard it damages the finish and changes the wood into a greyish color.

I'd say your best be would be CLP. I use it on my Mosins and it's never harmed the shellac. I don't let it sit for long periods but wiping it off with a rag should be okay.
    So CLP lifts the Cosmo from the wood? I didn't know it was capable of this.

Requires an oven.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    So CLP lifts the Cosmo from the wood? I didn't know it was capable of this.
    I don't know if it lifts it from the wood, but I do know it loosens up cosmo on the surface. It's not as strong as carb cleaner but it still breaks it down.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast