Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Re: How do I get the Cosmoline out of my Mosins wood stock?

This one on ebay has both brown and black & auctions and buy it now. I could definitely use the added length for comfort - could care less about the recoil.

current buy it now w/ free shipping (brown):
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/400277220201?redirect=mobile

(Pike County)

Thanks guys. I am hoping to take the rifle out this coming Saturday and judge for myself how bad the recoil is.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    Thanks guys. I am hoping to take the rifle out this coming Saturday and judge for myself how bad the recoil is.
    you're going to laugh when you thought you needed a recoil pad haha....you're going to have a blast...ill be taking my mosin's out this weekend as well as the rifle range was packed yesterday and only got to shoot pistola comfortable

(Lehigh County)

HA! Recoil its just the rifles way of showing you some lovin...

91/30 recoil is pretty tame. M44/M38 recoil still not as bad as the internetz would lead you to believe, however it will leave a sore shoulder your first few times out.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stampeed Valkyrie View Post

91/30 recoil is pretty tame. M44/M38 recoil still not as bad as the internetz would lead you to believe, however it will leave a sore shoulder your first few times out.
    I was going to say even my T53 is not bad at all....i honestly think a lot of what you may read on the internet its there first time firing a rifle of anything larger than .22 haha...

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    you're going to laugh when you thought you needed a recoil pad haha....you're going to have a blast...ill be taking my mosin's out this weekend as well as the rifle range was packed yesterday and only got to shoot pistola comfortable
    I was going to say even my T53 is not bad at all....i honestly think a lot of what you may read on the internet its there first time firing a rifle of anything larger than .22 haha...
    You got to remember I only got into centerfired rifles this past spring, first time I shot my AK I managed to give myself a slight black & blue on my shoulder. Granted I ran 120 rounds through the rifle but still. So yeah I thought the recoil was really bad from even my AR since I only shot 9mm and 22LR before that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stampeed Valkyrie View Post

I hope the recoil isn't too bad since I will probably want an M44 if I like my 91/30 enough. I will probably end up getting a Brass Stacker mount for the 91/30 so I can mount a nice scope without permanently altering the rifle. I would want the M44 at that point so I can shoot with irons when I get board of optics.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    You got to remember I only got into centerfired rifles this past spring, first time I shot my AK I managed to give myself a slight black & blue on my shoulder. Granted I ran 120 rounds through the rifle but still. So yeah I thought the recoil was really bad from even my AR since I only shot 9mm and 22LR before that.

Id say again you were holding that AK wrong to give you black and blue on your shoulder, or you are a light bruiser

I hope the recoil isn't too bad since I will probably want an M44 if I like my 91/30 enough. I will probably end up getting a Brass Stacker mount for the 91/30 so I can mount a nice scope without permanently altering the rifle. I would want the M44 at that point so I can shoot with irons when I get board of optics.
    A few mounting systems out there for the mosin, some are crap and others are good...make sure to do the research and do it right the first time...

(Pike County)

A few mounting systems out there for the mosin, some are crap and others are good...make sure to do the research and do it right the first time...
    The thing is I don't like the idea of making permanent modifications to old surplus rifles, one day this rifle might be worth a lot of money and in my mind it's like defacing a piece of history. The Brass Stacker mount was tested hard by Nutnfancy with good results and on Amazon it got 5 out of 5 stars from 40 people. Seems good from what I have read so far.
    Last edited by LifeInPa; February 25th, 2013 at 06:28 PM.

(Lycoming County)

How would I do it..id wait for the first nice warm day(or down right hot day) put the stock(stripped down of course) in a black garbage bag and sit it out in the direct sun. get a roll of them at the dollar store. id find a day you may be around the house as it will take a while...I did mine a day I was using the smoker to smoke some ribs and turkey breasts...then set it out in the direct sun let it sit for 1/2 hour to hour depending on how hot it is..then take out stock and keep wiping it down as needed....change bags when needed(as after a while it will get nasty). Friend did that with his M1 Stock and after a day(middle of summer 90 degrees out around July 4th weekend) it was more or less all drawn out and hes now good to go it does not "sweat" anything out any more.

Im gonna do this to mine this summer maybe unless it all sweats out(mine did have some but not bad..but enough that every time it sits in the sun the stock sweats it out) in the meantime.

Oh and not a big fan of the guns recoil id give it about the same rating(for comparison) of any lighter weight 30-06 bolt action(something more people may have shot more often or hunted with than a Mosin)...Id say my "comfortable" limit to shoot it is about 25 rounds tops(im sure life and death like say COMBAT you could shoot it a lot more...im talking about a ENJOYABLE non shoulder ruining session) By comparison(obviously because of the weight and gas system) I can easily shoot 80 or so rounds(i got 10 8 round mags I load to take to the range sometimes we use them all sometimes not first time out I used them all ) and be fine afterwords. I cant imagine my shoulder after 80 Mosin rounds
    Last edited by CBennett; February 25th, 2013 at 05:25 PM.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
    How would I do it..id wait for the first nice warm day(or down right hot day) put the stock(stripped down of course) in a black garbage bag and sit it out in the direct sun. get a roll of them at the dollar store. id find a day you may be around the house as it will take a while...I did mine a day I was using the smoker to smoke some ribs and turkey breasts...then set it out in the direct sun let it sit for 1/2 hour to hour depending on how hot it is..then take out stock and keep wiping it down as needed....change bags when needed(as after a while it will get nasty). Friend did that with his M1 Stock and after a day(middle of summer 90 degrees out around July 4th weekend) it was more or less all drawn out and hes now good to go it does not "sweat" anything out any more.

Im gonna do this to mine this summer maybe unless it all sweats out(mine did have some but not bad..but enough that every time it sits in the sun the stock sweats it out) in the meantime.

Oh and not a big fan of the guns recoil id give it about the same rating(for comparison) of any lighter weight 30-06 bolt action(something more people may have shot more often or hunted with than a Mosin)...Id say my "comfortable" limit to shoot it is about 25 rounds tops(im sure life and death like say COMBAT you could shoot it a lot more...im talking about a ENJOYABLE non shoulder ruining session) By comparison(obviously because of the weight and gas system) I can easily shoot 80 or so rounds(i got 10 8 round mags I load to take to the range sometimes we use them all sometimes not first time out I used them all ) and be fine afterwords. I cant imagine my shoulder after 80 Mosin rounds
    Thank you, I am going to try leaving my rifles stock in the attic this summer. At theend of each day I will wipe down the stock and put it in a new bag. Hopefully after a few days that will take care of the remainder.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast