Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: How do I get the Cosmoline out of my Mosins wood stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Is it a "C"? I thought it was a "6".
    If that is a '38 ex-sniper for $150, he got the deal of the week.
    Deal of the decade. Hell, I'd pay $150 for a plain '38 Tula 91/30, especially if it was Emptymag's money. More so if it's all matching.

WRT chamber mark: Need my glasses updated, could very well be a "6"

Hush now, don't want scare 'em off in case it *is* a sniper. I'm trying to gin up some BS story how CN means "Catastrophic Next"...catastrophic-failure mark. "Natch, we'll unload the junk for a nominal disposal fee.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Pike County)

Guys, thank you all for the information and advice. I just have to ask about cleaning the barrel on my Mosin. Both the rod the rifle came with and my 3 piece rod are too short to clean the rifle from the bore so I resorted to cleaning from the muzzle. I was always told though that cleaning from the muzzle can damage the crow and effect my accuracy. So can you tell me the best way to clean the Mosin? From the bore or the muzzle? If from the bore how?

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    As soon as I saw this pic, an alarm went off... The next pic confirmed it:

As I thought. Early sling eustachian = prewar mfg. Star = Tula. 1938 dated.

Nice pre-war Tula. If you ever tire of this rifle, you'll have no trouble selling it to a collector.

The "C" on the chamber above the star piques my curiosity...is the a corresponding "N" on the other side of the chamber? If so, please move closer to the screen so that I may strike you easier.

Ya done good, kid. Real good.
    Is it a "C"? I thought it was a "6".
    If that is a '38 ex-sniper for $150, he got the deal of the week.
    Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    Deal of the decade. Hell, I'd pay $150 for a plain '38 Tula 91/30, especially if it was Emptymag's money. More so if it's all matching.

WRT chamber mark: Need my glasses updated, could very well be a "6"

Hush now, don't want scare 'em off in case it *is* a sniper. I'm trying to gin up some BS story how CN means "Catastrophic Next"...catastrophic-failure mark. "Natch, we'll unload the junk for a nominal disposal fee.
    I had no idea this Mosin was special at all, I don't know what the C or any of the markings mean. The only thing that perplexed me was the receiver is round but the rifle was made in 1938. I didn't think they went to round receivers until after the start of WWII. Can you guys please educate me to what you see in the rifle? I took more pictures of those markings you're talking about:

Thanks BTW.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Montgomery County)

A "CN" above the star would indicate that it had once been a sniper rifle, which means it would probably be more accurate than most and would have been drilled for a scope mount. It would also cost a LOT more than $150.

Round receivers were introduced in 1930, when it became the 91/30 (model of 1891 revision of 1930.

A "CN" above the star would indicate that it had once been a sniper rifle, which means it would probably be more accurate than most and would have been drilled for a scope mount. It would also cost a LOT more than $150.

Round receivers were introduced in 1930, when it became the 91/30 (model of 1891 revision of 1930.
    They were hex at Tula until 1936

(Pike County)

I should have figured that, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SigSauer226 View Post
    They were hex at Tula until 1936
    Only two years too late, I am just thrilled I got a pre-war rifle as the build quality/appearance is probably better.

(Lackawanna County)

Your rifle looks great, congrats!

With regards to what some have said about shoulder pain from the recoil, might I suggest doing what I do? I set the manly manliness aside and got an inexpensive leather and Velcro adjustable recoil pad. Makes shooting soooo much more comfy for my tender shoulder. Much nicer than cold commie steel hitting me repeatedly. . And I can switch it from one milsurp to another without altering anything.

Again, congrats on the nice rifle.
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by DrillNFill View Post
    Your rifle looks great, congrats!

With regards to what some have said about shoulder pain from the recoil, might I suggest doing what I do? I set the manly manliness aside and got an inexpensive leather and Velcro adjustable recoil pad. Makes shooting soooo much more comfy for my tender shoulder. Much nicer than cold commie steel hitting me repeatedly. . And I can switch it from one milsurp to another without altering anything.

Again, congrats on the nice rifle.
    I want to order the accessory kit for my rifle since I didn't get the little tools, a bore brush, the muzzle cap, etc. While I am placing that order I am thinking of getting a recoil pad. Would you recommend any particular brand or style?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    I want to order the accessory kit for my rifle since I didn't get the little tools, a bore brush, the muzzle cap, etc. While I am placing that order I am thinking of getting a recoil pad. Would you recommend any particular brand or style?
    Ive seen one that replaces factory metal plate and reuses two factory screws. Dont have a link at the moment.

(Erie County)

Man-up, The recoil isn't that bad unless you have a preconceived notion that it is. Place the butt firmly against the shoulder and enjoy the recoil. Range time and proper technique will alleviate the need for a recoil pad. The exagerated retort may give you a misconception of extreme recoil. Good ear protection will help with this misconception.

(Bucks County)

There is no need for a recoil pad unless your like 80 years old....i laugh everytime i keep seeing these post/threads about the nagant recoil....haha

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast