Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default S&W K-22 Masterpiece .22 Revolver Info?

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to see if I could get some more info on this revolver that has been in my family for over 70 years. I have heard others rave about this gun, but I don't know much about it (other than what I found in the blue book).

K-22 Outdoorsman
    Exc V.G. Good Fair Poor
    2000 1600 1000 500 300
    *Add a 100% premium for 1940 manufacture in 682,420 - 696,952 s/n range.

Pre-war version of the K-22 K-frame, 6-inch barreled revolver chambered for the .22 Short, Long, and Long Rifle. Walnut grips, adjustable rear sight, sibbed barrel. Manufactured from 1931 to 1940. In 1940 the name was changed to K-22 Masterpiece and an improved adjustable rear sight was added. The S&W short action was another improvement. Only about 1,000 K-22 Masterpieces were manufactured in 1940.

The gun I have is s/n K563240. It has the original box, all original cleaning equipment that was included, and all pamphlets/instructions, etc.

Does anyone know what this gun is realistically worth, or can you provide any additional details to go along with it? Anyone interested?

Thanks so much!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: S&W K-22 Masterpiece .22 Revolver Info?

I'm more inclined to think the gun pictured dates from the 1960s.

Expanding the photo allows a good view of hte instruction manual which clearly says Model 17. Up until sometime in the 1960s (iirc) S&W named their guns so yours would have been a K-22 Masterpiece. For a time they used the name and model number then went to only the Model number.

Here's a posting to the S&W forum that shows the serial range for the number you show as being a 1964 production. If you really want to be sure you can contact S&W directly with all the information and they'll prove out the provenance of the piece.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...-n-frames.html

It's a beautiful revolver and I wish I had one of my own!
    Last edited by Brick; February 23rd, 2013 at 07:32 PM.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Northampton County)

You may be right. I am waiting to hear back from S&W. Inside the box, it is dated April 15, 1955. The instruction pahmplet that was included is also dated April 15, 1955, however, there is a parts list included in the pamphlet and it says all prices are effective January 1, 1960. Frame was only $30!

(Susquehanna County)

There's any number of possibilities for dates in boxes or on price lists. Including just differences in when manuals are written or printed vs when guns are made. Prices didn't didn't change all that quick back then and don't forget this was in the days when you could buy a gun by mail order from Ye Olde Hunter!

Be sure to post the information S&W sends you!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Perry County)

Assuming it is the Model 17 K-22 Masterpiece my "Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson", gives these values:
    ANIB 600 Exc 475 VG 350 Good 285 Fair 195 Poor 90
    Inside the yoke there should be a number something like 17-2, this will give you a better idea of date of manufacture as there were numerous running modifications and they were numbered with "dash" numbers as they occurred.
    A beautiful revolver, unfortunately they aren't used much for their intended purpose of target shooting any more.

(Butler County)

Price would depend on condition and specific model number. As stated, the serial number of yours would indicate that it was made in 1964. A couple of month ago I would say that it would be worth $500-600; however with the way gun values are inflated these days, it's worth whatever someone will pay for it.

I have one dating from the late 50's, and they are excellent guns.

(Allegheny County)

Excellent plinking or bulls-eye pistol! I've seen them "listed" for around $600-700 at PA gun shows in good condition.
    Toujours prêt

(Northampton County)

Hi Everyone,

Just confirmed with S&W that this K-22 was mfg. in 1964. 17-2 is stamped on the yoke. It's not NIB, but it was taken very good care of. Has some nice bluing on it, especially the hammer. It's a cool revolver. I had debated keeping it to plink with, but if I can sell it and make a few bucks for my grandparents care, I think they would prefer that. Thanks for all the help in identifying this cool revolver!

(Centre County)

I can tell you that with everything you show it the picture you can get a hefty sum if you list it on Gunbroker. The scredriver by itself can bring up to and possibly exceeding $100. Having everything (box papers, cleaning stuff, scredriver, etc.) is what a collector looks for and will pay a premium to get. I would not doubt that you could $1000+ at auction. Several years ago I sold one for a person who had to liquidate his firearms (became a prohibited person - mental not criminal) and posted his K-22 for $600, this was just the gun, nothing else, and it sold in 30 minutes and the buyer was happy to get it for that price. They are highly desireable.

I just checked Gunbroker and the average for just the gun, and not in as good of condition as yours, as $625.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I can tell you that with everything you show it the picture you can get a hefty sum if you list it on Gunbroker. The scredriver by itself can bring up to and possibly exceeding $100. Having everything (box papers, cleaning stuff, scredriver, etc.) is what a collector looks for and will pay a premium to get. I would not doubt that you could $1000+ at auction. Several years ago I sold one for a person who had to liquidate his firearms (became a prohibited person - mental not criminal) and posted his K-22 for $600, this was just the gun, nothing else, and it sold in 30 minutes and the buyer was happy to get it for that price. They are highly desireable.

I just checked Gunbroker and the average for just the gun, and not in as good of condition as yours, as $625.
    K22's sell like hotcakes in this area. An uncle of mine bought a 95% K22 about 5 years ago for $600 at a local shop. My dad's mid'50s K22 was appraised at $650 about the same time. ...neither have original boxes, papers, tools, or accessories.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!