Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Round stuck in the chamber - Ruger P-95

Hope someone can help me on this one.

I was at the range last night and a round got jammed in the barrel. I dropped the mag and tried to clear it by working the slide, smacking the grip, etc, to no avail. I cased it up and brought it home. A peek down the barrel (using a flashlight and a mirror, of course) shows that it is indeed a live round, so it must have jammed on the way in.

Any ideas on clearing this?

Slide and barrel are back a quarter inch or so.

You can see the brass showing through the gap

Does this extractor look "not right"?
    Last edited by Remington788; February 23rd, 2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: mislabeled the extractor

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Default Re: Round stuck in the chamber - Ruger P-95

If you can retract the slide, retract and lock it back. Get a wooden dowel that will just fit down the barrel and that is long enoungh to protrude from the barrel by a few inches. Insert said dowel into the barrel from the muzzel end of the barrel and with the gun pointed in a safe direcetion, clout the end of the dowle with a rubber mallet.

The most important thing is to keep the gun pointed in a safe direction. There are at least tow incidents that I know of in which guys were doing this with the barrel pointed at their chest and died when something wemt boom.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    If you can retract the slide, retract and lock it back. Get a wooden dowel that will just fit down the barrel and that is long enoungh to protrude from the barrel by a few inches. Insert said dowel into the barrel from the muzzel end of the barrel and with the gun pointed in a safe direcetion, clout the end of the dowle with a rubber mallet.

The most important thing is to keep the gun pointed in a safe direction. There are at least tow incidents that I know of in which guys were doing this with the barrel pointed at their chest and died when something wemt boom.
    No, when trying to work the action, about all I can get it to do is jiggle a bit. It is firmly stuck.

Obviously, safety, keeping the barrel downrange is the most important factor of all. I will take it back to the range when I am ready to try something else. Right now it is in a hardside foam lined case, with 2 padlocks on it, sitting in my safe with the barrel pointed to the concrete floor.

One of my big concerns is wondering what is the status of the firing pin.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post

Agreed. Just play it safe and tap it out. You said you could work the slide, so you should be able to lock it back. Just tap carefully with force. And get your extractor checked. You don't want to have to deal with this again if at all possible.

(Schuylkill County)

What brand ammo were you using?

(Luzerne County)

It might be safe practice to soak the barrel/slide in pentration oil for some time. This should make things slide a little better and hopefully the penetration oil will get into the round and deactivate the primer/powder....
    You don't have enough guns untill you don't know how many you have.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by eyecanshoot View Post
    What brand ammo were you using?
    Cast lead round nose reloads.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    It might be safe practice to soak the barrel/slide in pentration oil for some time. This should make things slide a little better and hopefully the penetration oil will get into the round and deactivate the primer/powder....
    That idea is high on my list. What kind of oil would you use and how long do you think you would soak it?

Hold up! That extractor looks like it still has a bite on the case. The extractor looks normal, BTW; that is the way it is on that model.

I'd put the gun in a vice pointed in a safe direction and using a piece of wood as GreyBeardedOne said, I'd tap the front of the slide to the rear to see if the extractor will pull the round out. Do not tap the round. Little taps on the slide go a long way. Do not tap hard or you could break the extractor hook or dent the front of the slide. I would not tap the round, at all, until the FP is well away from it, and in the position it is in, the FP is too close. Tapping the front of the slide to the rear, gently, should remove it or at least break the grip on the case so you can lock the slide back. It is likely the case stuck in the chamber and not the bullet.
    Last edited by harold63; February 23rd, 2013 at 12:58 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Erie County)

Here's how you would clear this with a 1911, and it would work on your P-95. First, take the pistol to a safe place (i.e. outdoor range), and find a wooden loading bench/fence rail, etc., that is aimed downrange. While holding your pistol in a normal shooting grip, pointed downrange, finger off the trigger, place the front edge of the slide (above the barrel) against the wood (try to get as much contact as possible). Then, push firmly against the pistol, this should cause the slide to move from it's jammed position. Make sure to keep the pistol pointed downrange, in case the round goes off.
    Last edited by Kiski Cowboy; February 23rd, 2013 at 01:01 PM.
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    United States Constitution - 2nd Amendment

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast