Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR15 ?

Default AR15 ?

I just read an article about fully automatic AR15s. I didn't think this was true.
    I believe you can make an AR 15 fully automatic with a fire selector. But then doesn't this make it an M16?
    Since the AR15s are just civilian semiauto lookalike s of the military fully auto M16

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: AR15 ?

it takes a lot more than a fire selector, but yes, it can be done with a few parts. why didn't you think this was true. Many companies make them for law enforcement, military, special needs. I suggest you start reading on what makes a firearm work. there are countless articles on m16 and ar's

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfac View Post
    it takes a lot more than a fire selector, but yes, it can be done with a few parts. why didn't you think this was true. Many companies make them for law enforcement, military, special needs. I suggest you start reading on what makes a firearm work. there are countless articles on m16 and ar's
    Yes, I know it take more than just adding a fire selector on the AR. My question must have been a little to vague.
    I thought my question was pretty simple.
    If changing an AR15 to fully automatic, doesn't this virtually make it an M16
    And if not in brief what is the difference?

Oh! It is a gas operated system that uses expelled gas to cycle the bolt. It has a forward assist, it also has a rotary bolt inside of a bolt carrier with a buffer spring in the butt to cycle the bolt back to the fire position.
    I'm sure I'm missing something but this is the basic function of an AR and an M16
    So I take it an AR 15 is an assault weapon?
    Last edited by Shooter.250; February 23rd, 2013 at 10:34 AM.

(Chester County)

Are you trolling?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter.250 View Post
    Yes, I know it take more than just adding a fire selector on the AR. My question must have been a little to vague.
    And if not in brief what is the difference? M16 is the military designation for the AR family of rifles. For that designation is is constructed by a military contractor. Today that is Colt or FN. Older Vietnam era M16's were made by a few different makers. Some are roll marked as XM15 or XM16 and has an Eagle ordnance mark on the front of the lower receiver where the magazine housing is located. Other changes are the bolt carrier, fire control group and the hole in the receiver for the auto sear pin.

Oh! It is a gas operated system that uses expelled gas to cycle the bolt. It has a forward assist, it also has a rotary bolt inside of a bolt carrier with a buffer spring in the butt to cycle the bolt back to the fire position.
    I'm sure I'm missing something but this is the basic function of an AR and an M16
    Yes to basic function, but the parts needed are described above. The term "Assault Weapon" is a media concoction nothing more. If you have plans to convert a semi AR to a full auto M16 don't even consider such an action. As there is no legal way to procede thanks to the Machine Gun Ban of 1986 to manufacture legally. If you desire a full auto M16 you have to buy one that was produced before this ban that is civilian legal. Will only cost you in the area of 15,000 dollars or more to do so. Add the 200 dollar tax stamp.
    gotta love her ;)

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter.250 View Post
    And if not in brief what is the difference?

Sounds like you are just trolling, but I will indulge you with some knowledge.

Adding full-auto parts to an AR15 is illegal. No NEW transferable machine guns can be produced after 1986. You WILL NOT find full auto sears or RDIAS in gun shops or online stores, which is necessary to have full auto.

Simple answer to your simple question:
    AR15= Semi-automatic; M16= machine gun/full auto.

How the AR15 cycles does not dictate whether if it is an assault weapon. The key feature is select-fire. Which the AR15 does not have.

It is like saying because a Honda has an internal combustion engine, it makes it comparable to a Ferrari.

No, I am not
    My question is legit.
    I am probably more pro gun than most people think they are.
    I will reformat my question

If you change an AR to fully automatic doesn't it then virtually become an M16, since it is now fully automatic and not semi any longer.

And I do understand it takes more tooling to make it fully auto and I believe you need the right permits to purchase the parts needed to make it fully automatic
    The selector part was so you can change it from semi to full auto and not just have a fully automatic all the time

I hope I am little clearer

I was a little torqued when reading an article in the paper calling ARs assault weapons
    Hence my question.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by FJR86 View Post
    It is like saying because a Honda has an internal combustion engine, it makes it comparable to a Ferrari.
    I once saw a Honda converted into a Ferrari by jacking up the radiator cap and sliding a new car in underneath it. Easy & simple conversion. Took just 5 minutes with easily available parts.

It was on the internet, so I knew it had to be true.

Thanks for the info. I am not considering converting my AR

I too am so tired of the media calling semi autos assault weapons
    My AR and a Remington 7400 are both sporting rifles as far as I am concerned. My M16 I had in the army was an assault weapon
    And I also believe if you can afford one you should be able to have an M1 abrrum (damn computer making me misspell words)

Our 2nd Amendment right were put into the constitution to protect ourselves from a tyrannical government. As most of us can see it was quite important to the founding fathers as to put it 2nd. Wish it would have been the first.
    Last edited by Shooter.250; February 23rd, 2013 at 11:12 AM.

(York County)

Sorry, I went off on a long rant and didn't see the posts that followed. I withdraw my rant.
    Last edited by DClan; February 23rd, 2013 at 11:35 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast