Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Recommend a fun and visible "reactive" target for small to medium rifles please!

I was in Gander Mountain last week looking over their assortment of reactive and self setting targets for small and and large rifle. They have the spinning, flipping, and bouncing variety of targets divided into two classes. Some are for small rifle, presumably .22s, and the others for large rifle. That large rifle category would exclude, of course, really big dangerous African game cartridges. Some are listed as "suitable for .22 to .50 caliber. I don't believe it. The pistol calibers seem to be on separate targets. (probably marketing) They are all described as "self healing".

What is your experience with these things? Can somebody name a steel or plastic reactive target that could be used again and again with ALL of these rounds safely without chewing up the target quickly or fear of bullet deflection?

For accuracy I use paper. But for fun, and especially my young shooting friends the "set it and forget it" targets would seem to be loads of fun.

Thanks for whatever suggestions or comments you might have.
    Last edited by Hokkmike; February 25th, 2013 at 09:21 AM.

Default Re: Recommend a fun and visible "reactive" target for small to medium rifles please!

(Chester County)

Default Re: Recommend a fun and visible "reactive" target for small to medium rifles please!

I keep seeing these, but have yet to try them.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=8KUKwgpdJKs

The local walmart carries them for fairly cheap.

(Allegheny County)

I see these ^ things all over the place now, but wonder how many people ever stop to consider the fact that shooting at the ground is not the most responsible thing to do.

If you hit the wrong surface you can send rounds flying in directions that you can not predict.

Just something to consider before doing something that is potentially hazardous.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I see these ^ things all over the place now, but wonder how many people ever stop to consider the fact that shooting at the ground is not the most responsible thing to do.

If you hit the wrong surface you can send rounds flying in directions that you can not predict.
    Just something to consider before doing something that is potentially hazardous.
    Particularly this time of year,with the ground being hard frozen.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

Never thought of it. Thanks for the input. Would just having a bank or dirt pile in the background mediate this danger?

(Northampton County)

Bullets are supposed to go into the berm. If your target is very close to the berm, a ricochet could:

- Hit the berm
    - Come back weak or go sideways weak (but not necessarily 100% safe)
    - Only get behind the berm by taking a very steep angle upward, with little velocity, and probably not come down very far away or very dangerously. Probably.

If your target is much closer to you so that a ricochet can miss the berm at a flat angle, there is a reasonable danger for quite a distance behind the berm, depending on the circumstances.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    Never thought of it. Thanks for the input. Would just having a bank or dirt pile in the background mediate this danger?
    It would depend on how close the target was to the bank/dirt pile.

Close enough to catch a riochet off the ground.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Montgomery County)

I use clay pigeons on the berm. Or I hang them.

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products...nds-tb-bb.html

I also use 2 liter bottles filled with water.

These are tons of fun.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104625180

(Bucks County)

^^I also use clay's in the berm at my range and never saw it to be a problem as its being shot directly into the berm...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast