Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default Re: Reloading .223Rem/5.56mm

natchess.com has some 223 bullets in, well did yesterday anyhow.

(Montgomery County)

Resurrecting this thread to add my recent experiences.

I've recently started loading .223 for my Colt 6900 carbine for CMP and NRA High Power shoots.
    I am putting a 55 grain Hornady boat tail over IMR 4198 and CCI 400 small rifle primers. Putting it together with a Lee breech lock hand press and Lee Pacesetter dies.

I don't like the CCI primers, they seem tough to seat and I get a lot of the mangled. I do like CCI for pistol and larger rifle rounds. Anyone else have this issue?

I started with ten rounds of the minimum listed load, 10 of a half grain more and so on up to the maximum. At 100 yards I honestly could not tell any significant difference in the groups on paper.

What I did notice was that the powder scoop that came with the die set, when filled, was kinds right in the middle of the recommended powder charges. This morning I made 50 rounds with a level powder scoop (took a heaping scoop and scraped flush with a flat edge). I weighed the first 10 on my scale and they were within 0.1 grain (just a few granules of powder off).

I hope to get to the range this afternoon and see how these shoot.

Maybe there is a better powder than 4198, which I also use in 30-30 cases, but it seems to work well enough for 100 yard target shooting (paper and steel), and there always seems to be some in stock at my local LGS.

(Blair County)

If you can't find a good load with hornady 55gr fmjbt and ramshot xterminator then your rifle is broken. Xterminator meters like sand and gives me some great velocity. I can make accurate bulk loads for around .20 per round

.7 moa was the best I've squeezed out of them at 100 yards. Don't expect that all the time though. They are bulk bullets and can be a bit inconsistent
    Last edited by Squatchy; May 9th, 2015 at 12:40 PM.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Resurrecting this thread to add my recent experiences.

I've recently started loading .223 for my Colt 6900 carbine for CMP and NRA High Power shoots.
    I am putting a 55 grain Hornady boat tail over IMR 4198 and CCI 400 small rifle primers. Putting it together with a Lee breech lock hand press and Lee Pacesetter dies.

I don't like the CCI primers, they seem tough to seat and I get a lot of the mangled. I do like CCI for pistol and larger rifle rounds. Anyone else have this issue?

I started with ten rounds of the minimum listed load, 10 of a half grain more and so on up to the maximum. At 100 yards I honestly could not tell any significant difference in the groups on paper.

What I did notice was that the powder scoop that came with the die set, when filled, was kinds right in the middle of the recommended powder charges. This morning I made 50 rounds with a level powder scoop (took a heaping scoop and scraped flush with a flat edge). I weighed the first 10 on my scale and they were within 0.1 grain (just a few granules of powder off).

I hope to get to the range this afternoon and see how these shoot.

Maybe there is a better powder than 4198, which I also use in 30-30 cases, but it seems to work well enough for 100 yard target shooting (paper and steel), and there always seems to be some in stock at my local LGS.
    I know nothing about competition shooting but that Colt 6900, if it's like mine, has a 1-8 twist barrel & will probably like some heavier bullets (don't think I've ever shot 55's through it). I had some good success with Hornady 75 HPBT over Hodgdon CFE223. No problems for me with the CCI #400 primers.

Shooting at the red dot under the dime at 100 yds-

"It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    I have trouble with the CCI #41 small rifle primers in my Lee hand primer. For whatever reason they kind of stick to the primer tray and don't slide easy in the tray and occasionally have seating issues as well. Overall these primers are tough and work well but can be a pain in the butt. I'm not sure that other companies primers would be better.

(Bucks County)

I am using Xtreme or Hornaday 55grn FMJBT with 25g of H335.
    OAL is around 2.220 which seats mid cannelure. Works great for me. YMMV.

(Washington County)

I've noticed the CCI #400 is a tighter fit in a 223 case primer pocket, compared to Remington primers, but I don't have issues seating them on my 650. I use a Dillon swager if I can feel one is tight, which happens now and then. All the brass with a visible crimp is swaged before going in the 650's case feeder.

I've successfully loaded Hornady 55 gr FMJ HP BT using 4895, CFE, H335, WC844, and AR Comp. The 4895, being a rod powder, didn't meter as nicely through the Dillon powder measure as those other ball powders but it was never an issue for the shooting I do.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by filgun11 View Post
    I'm working on getting started on reloading .223Rem/5.56mm. I already ordered my dies and misc accessories.

Can you suggest or share your favorite powder and bullet brand for plinking/punching holes on paper? What powder and bullet would be cost effective?
    Old school AR, 1/12 twist barrel. WC846 or Winchester 748. Both are very well behaved powders, meter nicely and work well. As always the AR 15 when loaded right will cycle great but nothing can protect you from shit old school steel sided magazines. I should buy another one and start over again.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    I know nothing about competition shooting but that Colt 6900, if it's like mine, has a 1-8 twist barrel & will probably like some heavier bullets (don't think I've ever shot 55's through it). I had some good success with Hornady 75 HPBT over Hodgdon CFE223. No problems for me with the CCI #400 primers.

Shooting at the red dot under the dime at 100 yds-

Nice shooting!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    Nice shooting!
    Thanks! I still got a lot of learning to do to be consistent.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast