Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default The Virtue of would-be AWB Weapons in Home Defense

I think the fundamental problem with restrictions on gun types and features being proposed is that those types and features that are on the chopping block are what make the firearms in question effective self-defense tools, far safer and better in the role than Joe Biden's shotguns.

The pro-restriction people look at a 30 round .223 rifle as excessive while a 5 round 12GA shotgun is considered acceptable. In reality a 5 round shotgun with 00 buck shoots out about 9 .330 caliber lead balls per shot giving you a total capability of putting 45 .330 caliber lead balls on target. These 45 rounds before a reload are considered by even pro-restriction people to be reasonable firepower for defense against 2 or 3 life-threatening invaders given that in stressful situations missing is an option.

But all but average sized and strength individuals will struggle with the recoil of shooting these 9 large projectiles simultaneously from a 12GA shotgun. A .223 rifle with a standard capacity magazine grants you the capability of putting only 30 .223 caliber projectiles on target. This is somehow considered by pro-restriction people be excessive for defending against 2-3 home invaders.

While the .223 projectiles from the rifle are indeed going fast enough that they are individually each more powerful than one of the 9 simultaneous .330 caliber shotgun projectiles, you are firing only one at a time this greatly mitigates the recoil problem allowing you to actually aim a string of shots safely. This one-at-a-time feature also enables you to use appropriate force rather than the all or nothing arrangement of a shotgun.

Also the innate physics of the high velocity .223 projectile is such that these fast moving bullets are more readily stopped and obliterated by hard building materials like walls. The larger slower moving .330 shotgun projectiles more readily penetrate hard building materials. This allows for safer use inside homes mitigating over-penetration more successfully than a shotgun.

Since the .223 rifle is commonly loaded with hollow point ammunition for defense the penetration of soft targets is also mitigated, as hollow points are designed to stop inside a soft target rather than going through and causing unintended damage.

Autoloading rifles are also preferable because rather than manually working the action the hypothetical home defender can focus their concentration 100% on situational awareness and determining the status of the threat, and safe shooting.

The barrel shrouds (aka handguards) of these modern .223 rifles are intended as gripping and mounting platforms for things like flashlights and laser pointers so the user can better determine their target and what is beyond and hit it (not miss it and hit something unintended).

The flash suppressors mitigate the night blindness induced by muzzle flash while firing in the dark so that the user may retain the ability to visually judge their target and what is beyond.

The collapsible stocks are intended to be adjustable to various body types so that me and my partner may both comfortably utilize the same rifle for home defense rather than needing to proliferate multiple rifles in that role.

The pistol grip and low recoil make the .223 rifle ergonomic enough to use throughout our entire lives as we age and begin to experience age related physical limitations like arthritis, loss of muscle and bone density, and loss of dexterity.

I think all of these reasons are why so many people are using these .223 rifles in the role which up to this point shotguns were employed, and are pretty valid reasons for making a conscientious choice to do so.

(York County)

Default Re: The Virtue of would-be AWB Weapons in Home Defense

Rep inbound!

(Bucks County)

But I thought that the AR-15 and by extension similar .223/5.56 rifles are hard to use and aim effectively?
    5.56mm, 9mm, .40SW, .44 Mag, .357 Mag, .22LR, 12GA, .45-70, 7.62x54R

(Lehigh County)

you sir, are exactly correct. but in all honesty, do you think anyone in our government has any common sense? you start throwing this at them and they get all confused and really can't understand the logic. along with their anti buddies, they do not want to hear what is correct, but twist it to use to their own advantage. the sad thing is, i don't think it's going to change anytime soon.

(Armstrong County)

Your post is based on the lefts (erroneous) assertion that , after the take all the semis, that they will "leave other guns alone"......I doubt highly that anyone on these boards actually believes that contention.....BTW: I have made the same point for years......9 double ought pellets X 8 rounds (extended magzine) = 72 PCs of 32 Caliber projectiles down range in less time than it takes for your finger to cramp up trying to shoot as fast as you can with an AR......but again, common sense makes no impression on the antis. (I am sure that once they ban the semis, they will go for all "repeating" firearms...)

Hokkmike Guest

A little off the OP but the AK was made for me. It is a short, portable, utterly reliable, easy to manipulate arm that has sufficient firepower by means of caliber and capacity to give the advantage to me. All of the nonsense about magazine limits needed for defense is bogus. It is the attacker who will dictate how many bullets you will need. You need to keep shooting until the threat is eliminated - period. Many of the more compact AR's possess the same attributes. But it seems like of VP would have us defend ourselves by popping balloons out the window to scare would be intruders away.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I think the fundamental problem with restrictions on gun types and features being proposed is that those types and features that are on the chopping block are what make the firearms in question effective self-defense tools, far safer and better in the role than Joe Biden's shotguns.

The pro-restriction people look at a 30 round .223 rifle as excessive while a 5 round 12GA shotgun is considered acceptable. In reality a 5 round shotgun with 00 buck shoots out about 9 .330 caliber lead balls per shot giving you a total capability of putting 45 .330 caliber lead balls on target. These 45 rounds before a reload are considered by even pro-restriction people to be reasonable firepower for defense against 2 or 3 life-threatening invaders given that in stressful situations missing is an option.

But all but average sized and strength individuals will struggle with the recoil of shooting these 9 large projectiles simultaneously from a 12GA shotgun. A .223 rifle with a standard capacity magazine grants you the capability of putting only 30 .223 caliber projectiles on target. This is somehow considered by pro-restriction people be excessive for defending against 2-3 home invaders.

While the .223 projectiles from the rifle are indeed going fast enough that they are individually each more powerful than one of the 9 simultaneous .330 caliber shotgun projectiles, you are firing only one at a time this greatly mitigates the recoil problem allowing you to actually aim a string of shots safely. This one-at-a-time feature also enables you to use appropriate force rather than the all or nothing arrangement of a shotgun.

Also the innate physics of the high velocity .223 projectile is such that these fast moving bullets are more readily stopped and obliterated by hard building materials like walls. The larger slower moving .330 shotgun projectiles more readily penetrate hard building materials. This allows for safer use inside homes mitigating over-penetration more successfully than a shotgun.

Since the .223 rifle is commonly loaded with hollow point ammunition for defense the penetration of soft targets is also mitigated, as hollow points are designed to stop inside a soft target rather than going through and causing unintended damage.

Autoloading rifles are also preferable because rather than manually working the action the hypothetical home defender can focus their concentration 100% on situational awareness and determining the status of the threat, and safe shooting.

The barrel shrouds (aka handguards) of these modern .223 rifles are intended as gripping and mounting platforms for things like flashlights and laser pointers so the user can better determine their target and what is beyond and hit it (not miss it and hit something unintended).

The flash suppressors mitigate the night blindness induced by muzzle flash while firing in the dark so that the user may retain the ability to visually judge their target and what is beyond.

The collapsible stocks are intended to be adjustable to various body types so that me and my partner may both comfortably utilize the same rifle for home defense rather than needing to proliferate multiple rifles in that role.

The pistol grip and low recoil make the .223 rifle ergonomic enough to use throughout our entire lives as we age and begin to experience age related physical limitations like arthritis, loss of muscle and bone density, and loss of dexterity.

I think all of these reasons are why so many people are using these .223 rifles in the role which up to this point shotguns were employed, and are pretty valid reasons for making a conscientious choice to do so.
    I like the thought that went into this. For me it simply comes down to an honest citizen should never be left wishing that they had more ammo than they needed against criminals in any situation.

(Chester County)

Who is the government or anyone to say what a law abiding, U.S. citizen is to legitimately posses for self defense of his or her own self or family? We have a Constitution to protect our natural rights, not be "given" rights by government.