Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default [RESOLVED PICS was wrong] PICS Denied yesterday, but I just purchased 2 handguns.....

Edit: 3/17/13 Well, I got my letter and they reversed the denial, so my purchase has been approved now. So if PICS denies you be sure to challenge especially if you know you have not done anything wrong. They do make mistakes.

Original post:
    I am new to these forums, so I wanted to start off with a Hi to everyone.

So I am a CCW holder in PA, just renewed this year in Northampton County.
    I went to purchase gun yesterday and i was originally approved and then someone called 5 minutes later and said denied.

Now what I find crazy is I just purchased a handgun about two weeks and was approved, and another handgun maybe 3 months prior.

I dont have so much as a speeding ticket, let alone anything else on my record.

I have sent in the PICS challenge form, but this blows my mind.

I guess I have a couple questions for anyone that knows anything about this.

1. Is this common? Happen to anyone else here?
    2. Is there a way to find out why they denied it?
    I cant believe it would be ok for them to give me a CCW one month and not allow me to buy another handgun the following.

3. What is different about the approval process for the challenge versus the normal process?

4. If they deny it again through this challenge form, is there anyone to talk to to see why they said no? I guess this would be a lawyer.

This type of thing should not happen.

Thanks,

xdm9
    Last edited by xdm9; March 17th, 2013 at 04:38 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: PICS Denied yesterday, but I just purchased 2 handguns within last 3 months.

There is a lot of guns being purchased at the moment and im not sure the trends they use to monitor this, but my guess is your last name is similar to someone who may be prohibited and maybe just recently tried to purchase a gun as well...

not sure why you were denied vs going into "research" though if that was the case...

best of luck, I would be pissed

Default Re: PICS Denied yesterday, but I just purchased 2 handguns within last 3 months.

When you say "someone called 5 minutes later", who called whom? Were you still in the store, did someone call the FFL, did the FFL call you, or what?

Was the initial approval through the automated PICS check, or did the dealer have to talk with a person in Harrisburg?

Situations do change, your name could get flagged on Wednesday even if you passed on Monday. Plenty of PFA's out there without enough identifying info, lots of ID theft, too.

If you can answer all of the questions on the Challenge Form honestly, without any doubts about "that thing that happened when I was a teenager...", then file the Challenge Form. But if there's something in your past that you think might POSSIBLY have caught up to you, then to be safe you need to review it with experienced legal counsel. It's cheap insurance, IF there's some incident, IF you were arrested and you're not sure what happened, IF you spent some time talking to a shrink and you were not free to leave, etc.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Northampton County)

The owner was on the phone w/ harrisburg for like 15 minutes like usual. Then said it was all good to go. And then a few minutes later while I was still paying they got a phone call saying I was denied.

No there is nothing in "my" past I mean nothing. Now my Dad was a little but of an F'up when he was a teenager, and I do share his name. He a Jr and I am a "III". But it has never been a problem in the past.

And like I said I just got my CCW renewed a month ago, and bought 3 guns in the last 6 months, 1 just last week.

I hope the challenge gets the denial reversed, it is just a bad feeling knowing I have done nothing wrong yet, still got denied.

(Lawrence County)

Maybe they just thought you already bought too many guns in the last few months, lol.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    Maybe they just thought you already bought too many guns in the last few months, lol.
    Not that. I bought 4 handguns and 5 lower recievers in one month. I was convinced one day the sheriff would be at my door. I bought 3 of the handguns on one trip to Gander Mountain.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by 2quicktc View Post
    Not that. I bought 4 handguns and 5 lower recievers in one month. I was convinced one day the sheriff would be at my door. I bought 3 of the handguns on one trip to Gander Mountain.
    Curious and a stab in the dark, but have you made multiple handgun purchases at any one time or within 5 consecutive business days? If so, did you ever complete something that looks like this?

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-3310-4.pdf

(Schuylkill County)

Did you have a birthday recently? I tried buying a 22 months ago and I didn't realize my dl was expired. The dealer was waiting for PICS to pic up the phone before he realized.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Curious and a stab in the dark, but have you made multiple handgun purchases at any one time or within 5 consecutive business days? If so, did you ever complete something that looks like this?

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-3310-4.pdf
    The multiple handgun report has nothing to do with PICS. It has no bearing on his denial. It is a federal form that gets filled out when appropriate. BTW, the purchaser does not fill this out. The dealer does. My MHGP never see these.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScotsGuards View Post
    The multiple handgun report has nothing to do with PICS. It has no bearing on his denial. It is a federal form that gets filled out when appropriate. BTW, the purchaser does not fill this out. The dealer does. My MHGP never see these.
    Curious, do you know if the PICS system receives information from the NICS system?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast