Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Sig Sauer warranty and CS?

I called Sig today regarding some cosmetic issues with my Scorpion 1911. The gun is only a few weeks old. Had some teething issues at first but runs reliably now.

There are a few cosmetic niggles that I thought I'd ask Sig to look at. It's a brand new gun, so I figured if they could fix it, why not. They include:

1. Slide rear not flush with frame. Seems an easy enough fix by replacing and refitting the barrel with one that has a little bit more material on the barrel foot.

2. Cerakote coming off in a small area on slide rear. This was probably my fault. The slide bumped up against the safety plunger lever a couple of times during reassembly. OTOH, they were very gentle bumps... I don't force anything and I don't rush reassembly. According to Cerakote, the coating should withstand impacts up to 200ft pounds of force. When the safety plunger lever contacted the rear of the slide, it was definitely no where near that kind of force otherwise the lever would have sheared.

3. Ding or dent on top front edge of slide near the front sight (looks like it was dropped or banged during assembly and simply Cerakoted over).

I called Sig and told them off the problems and they asked me to email them pictures. After which, the rep would send it to the gunsmith and they would then decide what to do. Rep said it could take up to 72 hours to get a response.

I am going to do as the rep asked, but thought it was odd. I've dealt with other large gun companies like Remington, Bushmaster, and Springfield and all have been pretty straightforward when it came to RMA/warranty returns. I thought I would get a call tag from Sig to pick up the gun, but it seems they want to screen warranty requests now?!?

Is this a new policy for Sig? Thoughts?
    Don't wish ill for your enemies. Plan it.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Sig Sauer warranty and CS?

may be because they are looking at it as cosmetic not functional issues. I haven't really had any issues with their cs and have even had parts shipped to me free when I should have had to pay for them (just last week in fact).

(Pike County)

Perhaps. The issues I described don't interfere with the weapon's function so I have no grounds for complaint there. But, since it is a new gun it'd be nice for them to make it right. If not, that's fine. It'll bother me for a while and it would certainly teach me a good lesson to inspect closely before buying.

I'm going to start saving my pennies for a Springer TRP anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by amstel78 View Post
    Perhaps. The issues I described don't interfere with the weapon's function so I have no grounds for complaint there. But, since it is a new gun it'd be nice for them to make it right.
    Uh, yea you do. The frame isn't aligned with the slide when it is in battery. Forget the rest of the niggles, I want the thing lined up if it was mine. I figured you already sent the gun in for repair. None of Sig's 1911's on their website have the alignment problem, so what are you waiting for? As far as the Cerokote? It is paint. Also, it is paint over stainless. I don't know if you understand the process involved in being sure stainless in prepped correctly for paint to stick to it, but if anything was overlooked, you could have problems with chipping and the sort with this gun. Without even looking, it isn't likely there is a very long warranty on the Cerokote. The dent in the slide you mention could very well have happened with the Cerokote already there; it may simply be a spot that the paint is stuck well. Foot pounds is a fancy term used to describe how strong the paint is, but a 1911 isn't even a foot long, so how are you going to apply the force associated with what a ft lb is in that tiny area. Pounds per square inch would be a better description. It is deceiving, at best.

I'm sorry you are having trouble with this pistol. I'd be calling Sig back and telling them you are sending the gun in to have the slide and frame lined up, and you don't care if it affects the function or not; it is supposed to be aligned. Don't let the less knowing tell you it is only a cosmetic thing. If someone tells me it isn't that big a deal, I don't want them even looking at my guns, much less working on them.
    Last edited by harold63; February 20th, 2013 at 08:07 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Pike County)

You're right 300WM. I'll do my best to get this taken care of to my satisfaction. Thanks for setting me back on the right path!

As to why I haven't sent it back yet? I was holding off until our NEPA meet-and-greet was over. I wanted to shoot it a bit more now that the FTRTB problems seemed to have gone away.

If Sig still gives me trouble, I'll ask my FFL friend and Sig dealer to send it back.

BTW, if you look closely at some of Sig's website pictures, you'll see that they too have the same problem. I was starting to think that maybe that's just how they did things.

Edit: look at the pdf link of their Scorpion 1911 brochure. See the image at the bottom left on the first page that shows the rear of the gun. The rails are sticking out past the slide and the ejector isn't flush with the slide. At least mine, the ejector is flush with the slide.

http://jamespaulsarte.com/temp/olyar..._SELL_2012.pdf
    Last edited by amstel78; February 20th, 2013 at 07:14 PM.

BTW, if you look closely at some of Sig's website pictures, you'll see that they too have the same problem. I was starting to think that maybe that's just how they did things.
    When someone is right, I'll say they're right, and you are. I looked at a few of them, before, and did not see any that were off. Then I looked at more than a few (at your request) and came across this: http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu.../1911-max.aspx

I don't know; it is disturbing to me. It reminds me of a fender on a Vette that is sticking out a little when I know it should be flush with the door and bumper.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    When someone is right, I'll say they're right, and you are. I looked at a few of them, before, and did not see any that were off. Then I looked at more than a few (at your request) and came across this: http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu.../1911-max.aspx

I don't know; it is disturbing to me. It reminds me of a fender on a Vette that is sticking out a little when I know it should be flush with the door and bumper.
    Well I'm glad to know that it's not just me... I began to think that maybe I was just being too AR (anal retentive) or seeing things, so I'm glad you saw it too.

Anyway, I did as I was asked by Sig and sent them an email tonight with pictures and a brief description of what I felt were faults. I hope they make things right.

Here's a few more examples found on the net. I agree with you too... it just doesn't look right. Now I've seen some from Sig that were spot-on perfect so I know they can do it right if they really wanted to.

http://eightzero.files.wordpress.com...09/photo-4.jpg
    http://pics.reedssports.com/gb/sig19...tacops-tb3.jpg
    http://pics.reedssports.com/gb/sig1911car-45-scpn3.jpg
    http://pics.reedssports.com/gb/sig1911-45-dse3.jpg
    http://pics.reedssports.com/gb/sig1911-45-s-tgt3.jpg

Well I'm glad to know that it's not just me...
    The general concensus is it has nothing to do with function. I just spoke with a friend of mine who has forgotten more about 1911's than I'll probaby ever know and he says it is more of a QC problem than anything, and that it's over looked because some do not consider it a problem.

(Warren County)

I had posted this on the Sig forum, but here's my experience......

Before

after

I had picked up a Swiss police trade in Sig P228 a while back and just sent it off to Sig for service and installation of night sights. I did not come with a case nor did it have the original grips, just some worn Hogue grips. Prior to sending it in I lost one of the grip screws (old age/bad eyesight) I'm thinking. Anyways it had some slide play in it and the finish was worn but it was a solid gun. I usualy wait for them to run a special but I was impatient and dind't want to wait. So I sent it off, all told it cost me just under $200 with shipping and such. I picked up the gun this morning at my local Fed Ex hub and boy was I impressed. At first I thought they sent back the wrong gun but it was mine. In addition to the servicing and night sight installation they had replaced the worn hogue grips with Sig factory P228 grips (including the missing screw) and they had as a courtesy refinished the slide as its finish was really worn. I'll add more pics later as this one I took with my Iphone, but the gun looks great! I couldn't be happier! Will be writing them a very nice note when I get home tonight. Oh and they sent it back in a nice black/grey Sig case too. Can't forget that........... that's a lot of work, all done in less than 2 weeks for less than $200........... Way to go Sig!
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Chester County)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast