Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Re: Someone graffitied the abandoned motel...

Quote Originally Posted by Rovert View Post
    Riiiiight... because gang-bangers or low-lifes never eat Taco Bell.
    I figured every Pike county thread worth its salt would have at least one mention of the Bell. Just doing my part.
    Don't wish ill for your enemies. Plan it.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rovert View Post
    This. I think.

Though I'm sure there's been an influx of 'problem children' that flowed out of the urbanized areas of NJ and NY to find their own homes due to what would ultimately come to be known the legislatively-created mortgage and banking crisis, those people are beginning to now lose their homes as foreclosures take their toll, and move back to where they came from, taking their problems with them.

On the one hand, you can almost feel sorry for those folks who have lost or are losing their homes. But on the other hand, it's hard to feel bad for someone who over-reached, never should have been given a mortgage in the first place, and got "bait-and-switched" into a bad situation. Unfortunately, they'll never connect the dots to realize it's the people they voted for who screwed them in the first place.
    Well, you've pretty much nailed it on the head I think.

As for the problem areas in Pike and the Poconos, there are some places like Pocono Country Place that have developed a bad reputation. In my area (Milford/Shohola), the crime hasn't seemed to reach us yet en masse. With exception of the graffiti I posted about earlier, I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.

(Pike County)

The problem with this area is largely smash/grab robberies and of course drugs. We had some insurance fraud in the area too, the most memorable was the cops catching someone trying to burn down their home because they couldn't afford it anymore. They poured gasoline all over the place and had containers of it all over the place.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by BobFromBucks View Post
    A small road side 1950's style motel located two miles from the Milford Pa Historical District. Centrally located to ski areas, white water rafting, golf courses and all other sportsman/outdoor activities. Only a one and a half hour from NYC area.

Sounds like a little piece of heaven. That last sentence in the description might be the problem.

I don't know if it's true but I have friends up that way and what I hear is that the Poconos are getting a bad reputation for drugs, gang violence, and the kind of thing you'd usually hear about in Philly. Is that true or are people who have never lived in a real urban area blowing the problems they see out of proportion?
    Bob, this area is built over coal mines and would be better off if it all fell back in.

Keep in mind, I'm a transplant from Sellerville.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    The problem with this area is largely smash/grab robberies and of course drugs. We had some insurance fraud in the area too, the most memorable was the cops catching someone trying to burn down their home because they couldn't afford it anymore. They poured gasoline all over the place and had containers of it all over the place.
    Oh yeah, forgot about the arson. The Windy Dog along with the garbage company are two places in memory that burned quite recently. Someone once called it "Jewish Lightning". I actually had to have the guy explain the term to me...

(Monroe County)

The largest problem on the rise in Monroe/Pike is home burglary. Usually daytime, afternoon entry. This as told to me by a Pa state LEO sgt.

The small amount reported in the news does no justice to the real problem. It is likely most does not make the news, and it is police policy not to "discuss on going investigations".

We had this exact problem in my old development, not one with any "reputation". New transplants from NYC, ok so are many neighbors, leaving their 19yo son unattended in a new environment.

Almost a dozen break ins, within walking distance, before he was arrested.
    Attempting to enter an occupied home, grandma and kids, while carrying a shot gun stolen from other home.

Parents are failing at "their job" of raising "their kids", then blaming society.......

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojollnir View Post
    Parents are failing at "their job" of raising "their kids", then blaming society.......
    Because parents aren't allowed to discipline their kids anymore for fear of child protective services showing up on their doorstep. One they're in your ass, they are there for a VERY long time, even if the complaint is unfounded. Trust me, I know

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by amstel78 View Post
    Oh yeah, forgot about the arson. The Windy Dog along with the garbage company are two places in memory that burned quite recently. Someone once called it "Jewish Lightning". I actually had to have the guy explain the term to me...
    Indeed, I am surprised how often it happens.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Lackawanna County)

in gold key alone we had 5 homes burn down last year.

Buy the abandoned hotel cheap, bulldoze it and build an indoor shooting range

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast