Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Movie Mistakes with Firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Solaran_X View Post
    Opening sequence of Lord of War where the camera is following the life of a 7.62x39MM shell. The factory where the ammo is being is clearly a Russian factory (with all the Soviet markings and the Soviet commissar inspecting the crate), yet the shells being made are brass.

Russians make steel cased 7.62x39MM.

They weren't brass, they were copper washed. That's the #31 plant in China.
    Shit, seems like a good enough speculation as any.
    Last edited by DClan; February 21st, 2013 at 10:18 PM.

(Bucks County)

Not a mistake but actually a kinda cool feature they made sure to put in. It's been a while so I may be wrong, though. In Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Lisbeth has a Sig that's cocked at one moment. The dude she was chasing crashes his car and it goes up in flames. A few seconds later, they actually show her hitting the decocker and the hammer falls. Pretty slick detail.
    Hammer cocked:

(Lancaster County)

The thing that bugs me is the repeated racking of slides and pumping of shotguns. And as I mentioned previously when someone shoots a bad guy and then throws the gun away/down in disgust with it.
    Side note, I didn't get paid so I can't pick up my 5.7 until next week sometime. That is all

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by DClan View Post
    Its been nearly 25 + years, but I have seen and handled suppressors built for revolvers, almost identical to what was in the movie. It was very interesting design wise. The barrels were back cut to fit a barrel tube inside the suppressor, while the body was slotted to allow the rear sight to act as a retainer. The inside of the rear of the suppressor was spring loaded...so you would insert the barrel of the revolver into the rear of the suppressor, compress the spring while guiding the rear sight into the slot, turn the suppressor to the left and allow the spring to force the suppressor foward, locking the sight into the retaining slot. I remember them being a little longer than the ones in the movie, and I didn't fire them, so I don't know how well they worked, but they were real and existed...they weren't movie props. They had no marks and were made of steel, and I don't think they would work on any gun except the one they were made for.
    Oh one can fit a suppressor on any firearm, revolvers included. The problem with most revolvers is not getting a good seal at the muzzle but all that gas (and noise) escaping from the forcing cone and the rear cylinder gaps. The design of most revolvers leaves no self-contained system to trap the gas which produces the noise of the report.

This is in too many shows and movies to count. But the good guy won't chamber a round until right before encountering a bad guy.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Philadelphia County)

Check out this website, It has most movies and shows all the guns used and a lot of mistakes.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Main_Page

Walking Dead guns:http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/The_Walking_Dead

Dirty Harry: http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Dirty_Harry

The A-Team: http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/A-Team,_The

(Allegheny County)

I've always been fond of the seemingly semi-automatic/automatic M203 grenade launcher (Scarface, Commando, et al.) and the nonexistent backblast of the M72 LAW (Falling Down, et al.).

(Cumberland County)

"The Spy Who Loved Me"
    In the "fight" scene where Bond shoots Stromberg (the bad guy)...

Bond gets a couple more shots off after his PPK stovepipes.
    http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Spy_Who_Loved_Me,_The
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by mosseater View Post
    Here's one I missed on the first viewing of "Road to Perdition" (which, BTW, I think is a great movie otherwise). At the end when Tom Hanks' character gets shot in front of the picture window by Jude Law's character, the bullet goes through and blood sprays all over the picture window behind Hanks...but the window remains untouched! If the bullet came out causing the spray, how did it not shatter the window??? Another magic bullet theory?
    Another mistake in that film is when Tom Hanks' character goes to Chicago to kill Daniel Craig and uses the 1911. The hammer is down before the first shot and it never moves. I don't recall seeing the slide move at all either.

(Northampton County)

Just saw one of the best ones today... True Lies. When the terrorists are first arming their nuke, Arnold and his wife are sneaking around, watching. Arnold hands her an Uzi-type MG and he goes off. Later that scene, 6-8 terrorists spot them and are coming towards. Arnolds yells "shoot!" to his wife and she unloads with the Uzi. Recoil immedately pushes her back into a crate, causing her to drop the Uzi down a flight of stairs. The uzi fires in every direction, discharging everytime it bounces off of a step. Must be like 10-15 rounds that discharge while it's tumbling down the stairs perfectly, just like a slinky. "She" ends up killing all 8 terrorists.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast