Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Default Re: Movie Mistakes with Firearms

Not a movie but who remembers CHiPs? The original series ran from 1977-1983 and they never once pulled their service weapons.

(Northampton County)

The thing that is consistent for me in most movies is that anyone holding a gun, doesn't know how to hold it. So many cup grips and just poor firearm handling. The other huge thing that happens all the time that gripes is me is any law enforcement person who draws a weapon and always has to rack the slide. 24 had a lot of this, racking slides is cool, I get it. But CTU agents would be carrying 1 in the pipe, no?

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Not a movie but who remembers CHiPs? The original series ran from 1977-1983 and they never once pulled their service weapons.
    That was the kinder, gentler era of police shows. Roller dicso and BMX.

My biggest pet peeve? When somebody is firing an automatic weapon in a movie and they keep firing it for so long that the barrel would have been melted in real life.

Also, does anybody remember that scene towards the end of The Walking Dead Season 2 when Herschel fires his shotgun about 50 times without reloading?

(Montgomery County)

I would suspect that is the most realistic. How many police go their entire career without ever firing or even drawing their weapon? Hopefully most of them

(Allegheny County)

For a lot of the movie equivalents of these, it had to do with getting the MPAA rating they wanted - i.e., limits on what they could show. The original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was a great example - in the cartoon version they used their ninja weapons (which the producers justified by making the bad guys human-looking robots) but in the movie, where the bad guys were actually human, the protagonists all wave their ninja weapons around but the edged weapons never get used.

The one guy draws his twin swords at the outset of every battle, then attacks every single bad guy by kicking him.

Back to firearms, follow this link only if you have a LOT of spare time:
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...NotWorkThatWay

In the intro to the original Hawaii Five-o it shows a revolver being loaded with already fired rounds.

You can see it at 0:44

(Westmoreland County)

Django Unchained was anachronistic. There were guns (and explosives) used that hadn't been invented yet. It didn't bother me because of Tarantino's style...it was most likely intentional.

Not a movie, but a video game... Call of Duty: Black Ops takes place through the 60's, but one of the common sidearms used was a CZ75, which didn't exist yet. There was also a CZ75 Full-Auto option, which was even further off, since the selective-fire version of a CZ75 wasn't invented until the 90's.

Also, when I shoot zombies in Black Ops 2 at point blank range in the face with a 1911, they survive. The 1911 is treated like a pea shooter in zombie mode. OUTRAGEOUS!

Also, not really mistakes... but if you're a fan of guns and a fan of Firefly, look up on IMFDB all the different kinds of guns used in Firefly. It takes place in the future, so for filming they used a lot of actual guns that had unique looks to them. They also modified some actual modern firearms, such as the main character's futuristic-y revolver being a modified Taurus 85.
    Last edited by ifman; February 21st, 2013 at 04:25 PM.

(Centre County)

Smile Re: Movie Mistakes with Firearms

In Dirty Harry, when he's asking the punk if he feels lucky, and the punk gives up and says "I gots ta know", Harry cocks his model 29 single action. There is a cut to a close up of the punk gasping and then back to wide of Harry, the gun is no longer cocked and he pulls double action and you see the cylinder advance again.

So IF there was a live round in the 6th chamber, he would have advanced it under the pin with his single action cocking, then if he decocked during the up close shot of the punk and pulled a double action during the wide cut, the cylinder would have advanced past the live round and the hammer would have fell on the spent round in the first chamber.

It wouldn't have mattered if he fired 5 or 6 shots.

(I noticed this while not even looking at the screen, I was of all things cleaning my 629 and I HEARD the double action sequence of clicks!)
    Last edited by Don; February 21st, 2013 at 04:49 PM.

(Venango County)

Not a mistake per se:

But the stormtrooper's blasters in Star Wars were thinly disguised Sterling (Mk IV?) machine pistols with stock folded. I have a similar one de-activated from Vietnam used by Aussie troops. It used 9mm. The movie just kept the stock folded and added a couple of bits of metal, a site, and a plug in the magazine well.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast