Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default Re: Movie Mistakes with Firearms

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    How about an 11 round 1911?

WOW I almost forgot about that movie. Was one of my favorites when I was a kid. My all time favorite is the mini-gun scene from the first predator movie. I don't know where to begin with everything thats wrong with that one.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    Open Range - Kevin Costner shoots about 10-15 roundsfrom his Colt SAA
    I want a 15 round SAA before the extended capacity bans creep in...

Dammit.

(Armstrong County)

Tombstone - Curly Bill shoots 21 times before he fires #22 into Fred White.
    I know there are more, but that one is the most blatant.
    Im pretty sure Doc Holiday rips of a good 18-20 with his nickle SAA Quickdraw and Colt Lighting during the OK Coral shoot out.
    He fans the SAA empty in to Billy and then both guns at Ike while he shooting out of the window. Also seemed like he was doing a few double action shots at Ike. Finally strikes an empty on one of the McLaury brothers.

The scene in Shooter with the Barrett M82A1 - I remember reading somewhere that the weapon was set for blanks and the amount of fly-bys from the chopper with multiple takes and angles caused the weapon to malfunction. But they had to edit everything together.
    I could be wrong, i read it on the intrawebs.
    Last edited by Nate7667; February 20th, 2013 at 01:36 PM.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

Most of the more recent films and TV programs show the careful propmaster handling of blanks (there have been deaths from blanks). They don't want any extra live blank rounds in prop guns.

If the script calls for Clint to fire 2 shots, then the prop guy will put 2 blanks in Clint's gun, no more than 2. Which results in scenes where three cops, carrying a Glock, a 1911 and a S&W autoloader, each fires a random number of shots at the bad guys, whether 1 shot or 5 shots, but each of them is now holding a gun with the slide locked back.

It becomes annoying once you know it's happening.
    Last edited by GunLawyer001; February 20th, 2013 at 02:27 PM.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Lancaster County)

How many times have you seen a Glock shot till lockback and the actor still squeezing the trigger and you hear "click click click". My Glock triggers don't reset until the slide goes forward. I hate having broken guns.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Bucks County)

In an episode of White Collar the "team" is in the FBI van and hears gunshots...so they all whip their Glocks out of their holsters and rack them. Nothing major, but your telling me that "trained" FBI agents walk around without a round in the chamber?

Quote Originally Posted by zswartley View Post
    Love the show too, but did anyone notice that not a single gun in the show, once fired, ever has any recoil?? Drives me crazy!
    What bothers me most about that is Norman Reedus (Daryl), John Bernthal (formerly Shane), and Michael Rooker (Merle), are all experienced shooters in real life. Christ, Michael Rooker runs a gun range out in Cali. It's almost like some director said "No! No! No recoil! It looks too realistic!"

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
    What bothers me most about that is Norman Reedus (Daryl), John Bernthal (formerly Shane), and Michael Rooker (Merle), are all experienced shooters in real life. Christ, Michael Rooker runs a gun range out in Cali. It's almost like some director said "No! No! No recoil! It looks too realistic!"
    I've been re-watching the first season to get the GF caught up on what's going on. Couldn't help but notice that Daryl's crossbow has a bolt in it's not seated, with the bolt being held above the string. I suspect this is for safety, but in the current season I believe it's in the groove.

I used to make fun of the rattling sounds that guns always make in movies/TV, until I was doing something to my XD and shook it a bit and realized it made a very similar noise. Granted I had to deliberately try to make the noise, and in some movies the amount of gun "noise" is absurd, but some shaky noise is at least possible.

I recently watched the movie One For The Money, in which Katherine Heigl's character gets a revolver which they refer to as a "5-shot" an excessive number of times. Near the end of the movie, the empties the gun into a bad guy, and you can hear 6 distinct gun shot sounds. They then later commend her for hitting the guy with "all 5 shots". It makes me wonder whether the sound editors even watched the rest of the movie.

Also worth noting about that movie, it takes place in NJ, and her character is a bounty hunter. She gets the gun from her friend/mentor who, in front of the lady selling him the gun, tells her he'll buy it for her since she doesn't have the paperwork to get it herself. She then spends the rest of the movie carrying her straw-purchased gun in front of numerous police officers and is never questioned about it. Also, there is a scene where the grandma takes the gun out during dinner and shoots a turkey that is on the table, with the bullet exploding the turkey but not penetrating into the person across the table.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by fuzz View Post
    Apparently everyone in that show is an expert marksman. Even the 12 year old can make head shots at 50 yards from a speeding car on a bumpy dirt road.

I love the show but that part always bothers me.
    But yet no one can hit a target the same distance away when taking careful aim through a scoped AR against someone just standing in the open with no cover around them.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast