Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default G30 light primer strikes

About 2 years ago, I experienced a light strike with my G30. Actually, the strike looked ok. It wasn't as deep as spent cases, but I've read that the strike will always be deeper on spent cases as the round going off with push the primer deeper into the firing pin....

Fast forward two years. I was out shooting my G30 after years no failures. Halfway through a mag, and then suddenly.... "click". I thought it failed to lock back. I racked the slide and a live round popped out. It clearly had a strike. Not as deep as the spent cases, but if the theory I read and typed in the previous paragraph is true, then this shouldn't be much of an issue. I did rechamber this round and it fired without issue. I've also read about primers sometimes not being seated deep enough that the strikes energy is absorbed by the movement of the primer, being pushed deeper into the case, causing it not to be hit hard enough.

My concern is that this is potentially a gun related issue. The firing pin channel is clean and free of dirt and grit. The gun isn't old enough that have any spring fatigue problems. And this hasn't be a consistent problem, obviously. Just an "out of the blue" type of problem. I would assume a mechanical failure of some kind in the firearm would be a bit more consistent. Usually when I have a failure of some kind, I'm pretty quick to be able to tell if it's ammo, gun or user related. This time however, I'm just not sure.

Are primer issues common enough for this to happen on occasion? I've only experienced this twice over the course of two years, however it's only been with .45, two different brands of ammo, but only in my G30. First time was PMC, two years ago, and just last week it was Aguila.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: G30 light primer strikes

It could just be a bad round. I have had one or two with my blocks over the years, even had a squib with wwb. I would think it would happen more often if there was a failure with the gun. If your still concerned, I would break down the gun totally and clean and lube.

(York County)

Sounds you have a bad gun. You should try to sell it as soon as possible. Recommend going with another brand.

(Cumberland County)

Hmmmm, I've shot Aguila in 9mm and come across extremely hard primers. It happens. I'd grab some different ammo (if you can afford it, or even find any) and try to repeat the issue. I bet it won't happen.

Perhaps your previous light strike was just a bad primer or bad round in general. I've had centerfire ammo go click enough times to know it's very possible.

Light strikes can be hard to diagnose. Your best bet is trying a round that you suspect was struck lightly in another firearm.
    Last edited by rwb1500; February 20th, 2013 at 12:59 PM.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

A Glock will allow the striker to travel forward while it is slightly out of battery. Compact glocks are more prone because of even the slightest limp wristing. Next time it happens, before racking out, check to see if you are completely in battery or not.
    Jules

(Monroe County)

Bad ammo is most likely the culprit. It happens.

(Monroe County)

Have you measured the case length?

Might be a bit short.
    “When a man cannot chose, he ceases to be a man.”

(Cumberland County)

If it does happen again, I'll check to see if it's in battery. I did read about that happening, which causes off center strikes as well. Oddly enough, my first instinct when I hear click is tap,rack, bang. It's hard to fight that! If this does happen again, I'll try to think first and check to see if the slide is in battery. But I use a very aggressive grip that strictly doesn't allow for limp wristing, so I doubt that's an issue.

I'm going to be headed to the range Sunday morning and put through 100 rounds. All I can afford at this time. Just watching my reserve ammo dwindle down to nothing

I was going to buy 100 rounds of .45 the other night online. $80 shipped. Fuck that. That's absurd. I didn't buy it. I can't fucking afford that. That like $80 for 15 minutes at the range. 100 rounds is nothing. This ammo shortage is really starting to annoy me.

I just find it strange. If it was fault of the gun, I'm 99% sure this would be a far more common issue. Like once every 10 or 20 rounds. But once I find a failure in a firearm that I can't figure out, I lose trust, And my G30 is one of my primary carry guns. But I'm really thinking this is an ammo problem. Just figured I'd get some more opinions.

And I don't have the tools at home to measure the case length. Atleast precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by EvoRich View Post
    I was going to buy 100 rounds of .45 the other night online. $80 shipped. Fuck that.

But I'm really thinking this is an ammo problem. Just figured I'd get some more opinions.
    Yea, that's approaching rifle cartridge $$$, and I ain't talking about .223.

If they all looked a little light, but the gun was firing, I'd be getting a new part. If the strikes look deep, as you say, then I'd chalk it up to 'it happens from time to time', and it does. I think anyone who shoots, a lot, has a no fire on occasion, though it can be rare. I've never had a misfire with WWB, but I've had a couple with other brands.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Berks County)

I blame the ammo. I have 9mm, 40 and 45 sub glocks and clean the striker channel regularly.

One month I was shooting wwb and had about 5 'light strikes.' This was with both 9mm and 40cal. The ammo certainly has some problems. This wasn't 5 problems out of a single box. I usually shoot about 400 rounds per outing, so the fact that the guns work fine for 395 rounds tells me it's the ammo.

Since I've been reloading, no problems other than a few squibs which are my fault.

As mentioned, limp wristing semiauto pistols can cause all sorts of problems as well.