Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Help a new gun owner find safer equipment

Hello everyone. I'm having a hell of a time finding a holster for my firearm. For the last few months, I've been using a simple Uncle Mike's IWB holster I picked up at Gander Mountain for 14 bucks. I was comfortable with this until this weekend when I went over to a friends house.

His mother is suffering from some mental problems and can become fairly manic. I was removing a jacket which was concealing the gun in my belt. She happened to see it and said, "Ooo you have a gun?", and immediately reached for it. It was an obvious reminder to be careful where I let my firearm be seen. Though she back off when a friendly hand swat, it made me think about times when someone might do the same and I am not quick enough. I don't like the idea of someone else having their hands on my firearm.

Anyhow, I'd like to get a decent out of the waistband holster with some retention. I cant seem to find anything at the local shops, mostly because I am left handed. I'm currently carrying a 9mm Px4 Beretta Storm, subcompact. Can anyone suggest one (or a few) holster I can look in to?

Thanks!

Default Re: Help a new gun owner find safer equipment

I will give the customary nod to Crossbreed Holster

Excellent quality, good retention, Comfortable for all day wear(Horsehide atleast)

Cons:
    Expensive at 80 dollars shipped
    Wait time 3-6 weeks depending on demand.

The good news check out Crossbreed Seconds website you may get lucky and find a holster for your pistol for reduced price. Plus they ship quicker as they are "pre-manufactured"

Walk towards the tree and make a left, Pennsylvania
    (Lycoming County)

You might want to check out N8^2 tactical. They have an IWB holster that has a pretty good retention scheme, it is the professional version. I don't know if they have one for the PX4 storm, but you could always call them and they might mold one up for you. There are a ton of reviews on youtube.

Here is there website:
    http://n82tactical.com/n82store/

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by The Hobbit View Post
    I will give the customary nod to Crossbreed Holster

Excellent quality, good retention, Comfortable for all day wear(Horsehide atleast)

Cons:
    Expensive at 80 dollars shipped
    Wait time 3-6 weeks depending on demand.

The good news check out Crossbreed Seconds website you may get lucky and find a holster for your pistol for reduced price. Plus they ship quicker as they are "pre-manufactured"
    +1

Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Philadelphia County)

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/p....aspx?pid=6378

I don't like paddles but it comes with belt loops also.

(Allegheny County)

For IWB I agree on the Crossbreed. Well worth the money, and the wait. Check out their belts as well. Made a huge difference in comfort and support for not only my Crossbreed holsters, but all the others i have as well. OWB Blackhawk serpa has nice retention, not sure if they make one for your gun though.

(Beaver County)

D.M Bullard LeatherMfg. has left handed IWB holsters.Check the in stock for your gun.
    http://store.dmbullardleather.com/ca...cb209de288965f

Add a local holster maker Dark Star Gear.I'm not familiar with his IWB holsters but his OWB's are good stuff.
    Last edited by GrumpyBear; February 20th, 2013 at 07:11 AM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter12 View Post
    Hello everyone. I'm having a hell of a time finding a holster for my firearm. For the last few months, I've been using a simple Uncle Mike's IWB holster I picked up at Gander Mountain for 14 bucks. I was comfortable with this until this weekend when I went over to a friends house.

His mother is suffering from some mental problems and can become fairly manic. I was removing a jacket which was concealing the gun in my belt. She happened to see it and said, "Ooo you have a gun?", and immediately reached for it. It was an obvious reminder to be careful where I let my firearm be seen. Though she back off when a friendly hand swat, it made me think about times when someone might do the same and I am not quick enough. I don't like the idea of someone else having their hands on my firearm.

Anyhow, I'd like to get a decent out of the waistband holster with some retention. I cant seem to find anything at the local shops, mostly because I am left handed. I'm currently carrying a 9mm Px4 Beretta Storm, subcompact. Can anyone suggest one (or a few) holster I can look in to?

Thanks!
    In one regard, you learned a lesson the hard way. The problem with a $14 holster, is that it's a $14 holster. Nylon holsters are not the answer for several reasons - lack of any retention and the fact that the holster collapses upon itself when the weapon is drawn, making it impossible to re-holster with one hand, being two of the primary reasons.

In another regard, the lesson was learned without major drama, which is always a win.

Carrying a concealed weapon is a very big decision that comes with very big responsibility. You aren't doing yourself any favors if you buy inferior gear.

Put another way - you need to be willing to spend the amount of money necessary to buy quality gear that does what you need it to do. A $14 nylon holster is not the answer.

I recommend you visit www.ravenconcealment.com and www.comp-tac.com

Both of these companies make some of the best holsters on the market today.

Finally, I'm left handed also. Both of these company make all of their holster in both right and correct handed.

www.3riverstraining.com
    Last edited by John A Brown; February 20th, 2013 at 07:48 AM.