Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default glock g3 17 for g4

I have a Gen 3 glock 17 with a very low round count and not a scratch or scuff on it. I just picked up a new g26 Gen 4. I really like the Gen 4 over the Gen 3....grip wise. looking for opinions, is it worth trying to trade my Gen 3 for a Gen 4 and give up the proven reliability of the Gen 3? I know Gen 3's are going to be discontinued eventually, in that aspect the Gen 3 may eventually be highly sought after. the price of the Gen 3 vs the Gen 4 are relatively comparable, so I'm not worried about that. just trying to get some ideas...what would you do?

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: glock g3 17 for g4

I have owned 7 Gen 3 Glock 19s, 2 Gen 4 Glock 19s and currently 3 Gen 2 Glock 19s.

Should you trade? It depends on what you want.

I preferred the smaller grip option of the Gen 4 to the standard Gen 3 grip. Both of my Gen 4s were 100% reliable and continue to be so for my friend who owns both of them now.

I prefer the no finger groove option of the Gen 2, and since I don't use a weapon mounted light - the Gen 2 is my preferred choice. Off and on I have thought about sending a Gen 3 out to Bowie Tactical to have the finger grooves removed and to do a grip reduction. This would be my ultimate Glock 19.

I find myself shooting less these days, so I don't know if I want to go that route or not, time will tell.

Good luck on your choice.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyx28 View Post
    I know Gen 3's are going to be discontinued eventually,
    Do you know this or is it something the internet told you. Got a source for the info?

I would keep the gen 3, no questions asked, and slowly save up for a gen 4. YMMV....
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Lackawanna County)

no I don't have a source for the info, but its inevitable. why would they continue making Gen 3's? they stopped producing Gen 1's and 2's

(Schuylkill County)

can't cite specifics, but my LGS told me the same thing in casual conversation. No, I wasn't shoppping for any guns, actualy stopped in to get targets/ammo. Gen 3's will eventually be phased out. Just from the grapevine, is going to happen? Only time will tell.