Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Authorities' new advice to schools: Confront shooter

Traditionally, potential victims have been told to flee and hide while waiting for help. But now law enforcement instructional materials say to fight back.

WASHINGTON — Law enforcement authorities are increasingly advising school officials — and even young students — to physically confront suspects in future campus attacks as a final line of defense.

The advisories, now included in training videos and documents prepared by police, represent a major shift in tactics for law enforcement officials who have traditionally counseled potential victims to flee and hide while waiting for authorities to answer calls for help.

"These incidents are becoming a fact of life,'' University of Wisconsin-Madison Police Chief Susan Riseling told a meeting of law enforcement colleagues gathered here. "If there is no other option, take the shooter out.''

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...oters/1920601/

Isn't that what the NRA and millions of gun owners said from the start?
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

Default Re: Authorities' new advice to schools: Confront shooter

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post
    Isn't that what the NRA and millions of gun owners said from the start?
    No, the NRA and gun owners want to have an armed person able to defend. This proposal is to have unarmed people get slaughtered hoping they can pull a Hollywood movie stunt and take out the gunner unharmed.

Quote Originally Posted by emckee57 View Post
    No, the NRA and gun owners want to have an armed person able to defend. This proposal is to have unarmed people get slaughtered hoping they can pull a Hollywood movie stunt and take out the gunner unharmed.
    The last line was "take the shooter out" if possible. That has been the NRA's position and yet it has been mocked. Now the "experts are coming out and saying **almost** the same thing. Give em a year or two to get the part about the gun.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

But they are still not giving the schools the means to defend themselves. It says in the article that they are not advocating arming teachers or administrators. This does nothing to make an attacker think twice about what they are doing or create a meaningful way to stop the attacker.

They are basically saying " If you see the attacker lining up to kill you, instead of curling up in a ball on the ground, grab a pencil or those safety scissors and run at the attacker so that you can feel like you are doing something before they kill you.

Even this bit of advice is not a solution, just words to make someone feel like they are doing something positive to confront the problem.

Edited to add.....I just read your second post...... Hopefully it will be a progression to an actual effective means of defense.
    Last edited by internet troll; February 18th, 2013 at 07:42 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Oh, this makes me feel so much better about my job. Just like the principal of Sandy Hook, Dawn Hochsprung, I'm supposed to charge a madman completely and totally unarmed?! Have we learned NOTHING?!

I suppose its better than turning off the lights and cowering under a desk...like my fat ass would fit under one anyway...

(Beaver County)

People who need advice from the government on what to do in <any> situation deserve their proper fate imo. There is only one person who should do your thinking for you.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    People who need advice from the government on what to do in <any> situation deserve their proper fate imo. There is only one person who should do your thinking for you.
    And only one person responsible for your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    ^^^^^ truth^^^^^^

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kchristy View Post
    Oh, this makes me feel so much better about my job. Just like the principal of Sandy Hook, Dawn Hochsprung, I'm supposed to charge a madman completely and totally unarmed?! Have we learned NOTHING?!

I suppose its better than turning off the lights and cowering under a desk...like my fat ass would fit under one anyway...
    There are instances of armed law enforcement not engaging threats due to fear of their own bodily harm--so arming in and of itself, cannot always overcome mindset.

I, for one, think this a good first step toward the right mindset of how to deal with those that intend to do harm.

People either have the ability to act without fear (armed or not) or cower. Sure, being equipped with a firearm will probably even the fight, but the world is not always a perfect place.

You can either possibly get killed while cowering or possibly get killed trying to stop the attack. If, God forbid, I'm ever in that situation, I hope I choose the latter.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    And only one person responsible for your ass.
    My mom works in a school, and I tell her time and time again... if there is a shooting going on, do NOT lock down. Assess the situation, and if there's an escape route, work your way out. Only YOU are responsible for you... She says they have practice "lockdowns" on occasion. ... fish in a barrel...

Even if you need to lock down as a last option, do NOT cower in a corner until he walks in and finishes all of you. Find an advantageous location near the door if possible, find yourself a good weapon - even if you have to break off a chair leg.. or find a compass.. something.. anything.. and when he comes in, smash that b's face in, and keep attacking him. Active attackers never expect resistance. They prey on the weak, and the easy targets. They KNOW what a lockdown is, and they know there is no opposition. The last thing he will be expecting is to be blindsided when he steps foot into the room.
    III%

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast