Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default M&P 9 shoots low

I have a M&P9 that shoots about 6 inches low at 10 yards is this a common thing ... I had my friend shoot it also with the same result

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: M&P 9 shoots low

Are the low groups you are getting between you and your friend tight? If you were shooting 1.5 inch groups at 10 yards, yet very low I would consider it was the pistol. However, I suspect it is user error.

What grain ammunition were you using? How much experience do you have with handguns?
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Lancaster County)

Yes, I will tell you my experience and you can see if it helps.

I am a LE firearms instructor and this year our office transitioned from .40 Glock's to M&P .45's (full size version). We have experienced a few Deputies who initially shot low with their pistols. After a few diagnostic tests we found that their issue was improper sight alignment. They were all using the dots of their sights when acquiring their sight picture as opposed to using the silhouette of the sight.

The question then becomes, why did they shoot fine using the dots when shooting Glocks, but then shoot low using the Smith's?

In comparing the two, the M&P pistols have a front sight blade that is considerably thinner than the Glock front sight blade. Because the front sight blade is thinner, the dot on the front sight is proportionately smaller.

When aligning the dots on the sights for the Glock, all of the dots are comparable in size and therefore one can align the dots for their sight picture and achieve adequate results. (even though this is technically still improper as the dots/night sights are designed for used to enhance visibility in low light)

The front sight dot on the M&P appears smaller in the sight picture compared to the rear dots and therefore is more difficult to align properly when using the dots. Consistently, the problem was that deputies were aligning the center of the dots. If you were to do this, and then change your focus to the silhouette, you will probably notice the top of the front sight is lower than the top of the rear sight.

In order to correct this problem, try using the silhouette of the sights in full light as opposed to the dots. In low light, try aligning the tops of the dots as opposed to aligning them through the middle.

This should take care of your problem.

Hope this helps...nhughesmd

(Montgomery County)

How are you aligning your sights?
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

(Carbon County)

I shoot IDPA with a glock and usually hold my own i have thought that it may be because of the diff. platforms ... but then i switch to a 1911 and have no problems the groups are deff. tight tho

(Carbon County)

I more or less float between B and C

(Pike County)

Have a look at the following chart:
    http://is-lan.com/challenge/images/P...Correction.pdf
    Don't wish ill for your enemies. Plan it.

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser645 View Post
    I shoot IDPA with a glock and usually hold my own i have thought that it may be because of the diff. platforms ... but then i switch to a 1911 and have no problems the groups are deff. tight tho
    Money says your front blade is too tall. 6" at 10 yds is pretty hefty.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Lawrence County)

I've seen more than one pistol shoot low at 10 yards like that.....and it wasn't the shooter. With some, you can file the top of the front sight some to make it up.

Lycantheydon'talllockthesamethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Perhaps you are anticipating the recoil and dropping your gun down just before/during the second you pull the trigger... Didn't read all the posts, so I'm not sure if this was addressed already. Was shooting with my Uncle who is a newer shooter than I am, and while watching noticed that right before he pulled the trigger (or as he pulled the trigger) he would dip the barrel of the gun down subconsciously as he braced for the recoil. Could this be the case?

Next time you're out, check to make sure you're not dipping it down as you pull the trigger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast