Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Open Carrier in Pittsburgh - Who was it?

Ok Im a bus boy at Rockefellers bar and grille in Kennedy township. Tonight during the dinner rush, A couple was at the bar. Younger guy with I believe his wife/girlfriend and kids. He was wearing a Smith and wesson hoodie, and was OC what looked to be a Glock 19/23. I was very busy so i did not get his name or if he was a member here.

I didnt know he was OC untill he was getting up to leave. while he was putting his jacket on, i walked over and tapped him on the shoulder. Here was our conversation

Me: Hey its nice to see someone else open carrying
    Him: Thanks, as long as it doesnt make anyone uncomftorable
    Me: Yeah I open carry myself, and I never see anyone else Open carry
    Him: Yeah I know

At this point we were slammed so I had to end the conversation

Me: Thanks for open carrying, I appreciate it.
    Him: No problem, have a good one
    Me: You too.

Nice to see a nice guy looked to be in his 20-30 range. nice family giving gun owners a good name. Is it anyone from here?

Also, Rockefellers is OPEN CARRY FRIENDLY! Were in Kennedy township Across from Ohio Valley General Hospital. We have great Beer Battered fish.

Default Re: Open Carrier in Pittsburgh - Who was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kumora View Post
    Ok Im a bus boy at Rockefellers bar and grille in Kennedy township. Tonight during the dinner rush, A couple was at the bar. Younger guy with I believe his wife/girlfriend and kids. He was wearing a Smith and wesson hoodie, and was OC what looked to be a Glock 19/23. I was very busy so i did not get his name or if he was a member here.

I didnt know he was OC untill he was getting up to leave. while he was putting his jacket on, i walked over and tapped him on the shoulder. Here was our conversation

Nice to see a nice guy looked to be in his 20-30 range. nice family giving gun owners a good name. Is it anyone from here?

Also, Rockefellers is OPEN CARRY FRIENDLY! Were in Kennedy township Across from Ohio Valley General Hospital. We have great Beer Battered fish.
    That's an awesome experience. wish i saw more like that when i go out to eat.

(Allegheny County)

Rockefeller's is right over the river from me. I'm not too big on fish though, what else do you have good on the menu? Maybe I'll have to pop in and run into you on a slow night and say hi.

Had soup there once, puked me innards out for 3 days after.

Now I steer clear

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Beaver County)

Mmmmmmmmmmm...beer battered fish from Rockies...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Proud to be a Longwall pig...

Why would you physically touch a man Open Carrying a sidearm? Why approach from behind and touch his shoulder? Why not announce yourself first so as not to end up in an Emergency room?

CL

Maybe he worked next door?
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpan View Post
    I wasn't aware that OCing gives someone immunity from incidental touching or the right to commit Aggravated Assault or Attempted Murder in response to it. Learn something new here every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by ak47fullmag View Post
    me too. who knew.
    Well, here's to education:

First, a very broad and common definition depending on state or jurisdiction:

Assault in some US jurisdictions and Scotland is defined more broadly still as any intentional physical contact with another person without their consent;

PA title 18, 2701: Simple Assualt

§ 2701. Simple assault.
    (a) Offense defined.--A person is guilty of assault if he:
    (1) attempts to cause or intentionally, knowingly or
    recklessly causes bodily injury to another;
    (2) negligently causes bodily injury to another with a
    deadly weapon;
    (3) attempts by physical menace to put another in fear
    of imminent serious bodily injury; or

(4) conceals or attempts to conceal a hypodermic needle
    on his person and intentionally or knowingly penetrates a law
    enforcement officer or an officer or an employee of a
    correctional institution, county jail or prison, detention
    facility or mental hospital during the course of an arrest or
    any search of the person.

Any OC'er who is touched, grabbed, poked, proded by an unknown person should take that physical touch as an assault and react accordingly.

Note the bolded section 3#. As long as the OCer believes he or she is in fear of imminent serious bodily injury, they may stomp the living shit out of or use deadly force to repeal that attack. Keep in mind, it's the the Toucher's mind set, it's the touchee's mind set and their fear of harm!

You two may not like the law but as one of my favorite actors says "Thats a fact jack!"

I encourage you to "RESEARCH" the law on your own and come to whatever conclusion. However, any OCer who takes OC seriously and not just part of the fad crowd ( huge percentage IMO) and has taken Weapons Retention training, fully knows that any unconsented touch could be an attack.

Not that I like this example but I encourage you two to do this something. Go up to a PA State Trooper, who does not see you, and touch his shoulder. Then, tell us how that worked out for you. The Trooper should not be a family member, friend, associate, or anyone you have interacted with in the past. Just randomly go up behind a Trooper and touch their shoulder, while in full uniform. Again, please, post the end result.

Now, if you think that's a bad idea, why do you think its a ok or a good idea to do the same to an OCer?

CL

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    Why would you physically touch a man Open Carrying a sidearm? Why approach from behind and touch his shoulder? Why not announce yourself first so as not to end up in an Emergency room?
    If you are that prone to assault someone for tapping you on the shoulder, might I suggest you work on your SA so that nobody gets anywhere close to you or leave the firearm at home.

Any OC'er who is touched, grabbed, poked, proded by an unknown person should take that physical touch as an assault and react accordingly.

Note the bolded section 3#. As long as the OCer believes he or she is in fear of imminent serious bodily injury, they may stomp the living shit out of or use deadly force to repeal that attack. Keep in mind, it's the the Toucher's mind set, it's the touchee's mind set and their fear of harm!
    I have heard straight from the horses mouth (or, an Allegheny County assistant district attorney in this case) that doing what you describe in PA will land the OC'er firmly in jail. I suppose, at that point, you and your attorney would be free to take up your novel legal interpretation.

Like most things in the law, a fear must be reasonable. Having someone tap you on the shoulder and proceeding to stomp them is not reasonable, IMHO, and you'd be dealing with the court system to prove otherwise.

(Beaver County)

Well, here's to education:

First, a very broad and common definition depending on state or jurisdiction:

Assault in some US jurisdictions and Scotland is defined more broadly still as any intentional physical contact with another person without their consent;

PA title 18, 2701: Simple Assualt

§ 2701. Simple assault.
    (a) Offense defined.--A person is guilty of assault if he:
    (1) attempts to cause or intentionally, knowingly or
    recklessly causes bodily injury to another;
    (2) negligently causes bodily injury to another with a
    deadly weapon;
    (3) attempts by physical menace to put another in fear
    of imminent serious bodily injury; or

(4) conceals or attempts to conceal a hypodermic needle
    on his person and intentionally or knowingly penetrates a law
    enforcement officer or an officer or an employee of a
    correctional institution, county jail or prison, detention
    facility or mental hospital during the course of an arrest or
    any search of the person.

You two may not like the law but as one of my favorite actors says "Thats a fact jack!"

I encourage you to "RESEARCH" the law on your own and come to whatever conclusion. However, any OCer who takes OC seriously and not just part of the fad crowd ( huge percentage IMO) and has taken Weapons Retention training, fully knows that any unconsented touch could be an attack.

Not that I like this example but I encourage you two to do this something. Go up to a PA State Trooper, who does not see you, and touch his shoulder. Then, tell us how that worked out for you. The Trooper should not be a family member, friend, associate, or anyone you have interacted with in the past. Just randomly go up behind a Trooper and touch their shoulder, while in full uniform. Again, please, post the end result.

Now, if you think that's a bad idea, why do you think its a ok or a good idea to do the same to an OCer?

CL
    So...I took your advise and tapped a PSP trooper on the shoulder, and for effect, it was his strong side. I wasn't shot, punchd, or verbally assaulted for my actions. Had a very pleasant conversation about open carry. This was 5 min ago at the GetGo in Cranberry.

Guess you do learn something new every day...
    Proud to be a Longwall pig...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast