Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default PT 1911 - quick range report

Finally bought my first 1911, and got a chance to give her her first workout today. Brand new Taurus PT1911, btw.

For reference, my only experiance with 1911's has been a few hundred rounds over the years with my father's, heavily tuned, Gold Cup National match. So I'm a bit spoiled as to what to expect...

Initial impressions for my Taurus (from a 1911 noob) are very positive. Fired 50 rounds through her flawlessly, without so much as a hiccup (all roundball). Easy to fire, though the trigger seems a bit heavy. Sights are almost dead on from the factory, and I'll wait to make any adjustments until both the gun and I have at least 200 rounds downrange - I'm consistently shooting just a hair right, which is typical for me. Gun cycled smoothly and predictably (though not quite as smooth as dad's Colt). Overall, the Taurus felt pretty good for a 1911 in the sub-$700 price ranges, and is very well featured. I'll be very interested to see how she feels after 500 rounds.

These are the first 5 shots, ever, out of my new toy, at 20 feet. And I was shooting comparable groups for the whole trip...

Overall, while I can see some tuning in the future, I'm very happy with the Taurus' first outing, and am quite pleased with my investment.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: PT 1911 - quick range report

awesome pistol, you could have spent a thousand dollars more and not get a better 1911, i have 2 , both have been flawless from day one and both have been bullseye eaters from day one.

enjoy

(Monroe County)

I had a Taurus 1911 for a while and it started out a very good gun. It began to have issues with misfires. I don't know if the problem was in the Series 80 system or elsewhere in the gun, but it just turned out to be unreliable enough for me I decided to part with it. I know I could have given Taurus a shot to fix it, but I was able to get my money out of it and just went with a Rock Island Tactical which lacks the Series 80.

As long as your Taurus works, I think you will be very happy with it. They may not be Baers or Wilsons, but they also cost a tiny fraction of the price.

AJ

It will definitely smooth out over time, though it won't take 500 rds. The heavy trigger is easy enough to correct. I just picked up the same one you got, yesterday. I have a slew of PT 1911's. I just can't see paying so much more for a forged gun when all you gotta do is put a good extractor on it and you're ready to fight, range, what ever.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Delaware County)

Congrats on your new weapon. I would put a few hundred rounds thru it before doing anything to it.
    Good luck with it.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.