Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Carry pistol - Candidates

I am 4th on a waiting list for an M&P Shield. Fine gun by all accounts. Small. Recently the slightly larger Kahr K9 (all metal) caught my eye. I hear good things abut Kahr pistols, even the budget "c" line. Weight not a factor to me as I like my CZ75 heft but it is a tad large for concealed carry. Fine for OWB but not IWB.

This is sort of apples to oranges as the comparable S&W would really be the M&P9C, but that has more bulk to it than tha Kahr, which are famous for their thinness. Anyone familiar with the k9 care to comment? Not many Shields out there.

Default Re: Carry pistol - Candidates

BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Juniata County)

I'd look long and hard @ Kahrs .40 mm line up. Considering you'll only have a few rounds, they need to hit hard enough to count.

Never know if your going to have to shoot someone who is just bad ass, or high....

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by djm3801 View Post
    Anyone familiar with the k9 care to comment? Not many Shields out there.
    Not familiar with the K9 but I own a CW40 and a PM9 - I have absolutely nothing but great things to say about each. The PM9 is my primary summer carry. You should be able to find some pretty good stuff about Kahr firearms written in this forum... Also check out some youtube reviews.

(Bucks County)

How about a CZ75 compact? Or a CZ P01? They point and grip like a full size, which IMHO is unmatched.

Actually I have a P01 - love it - but it is bulky for a carry IWB. Had the shield on order but started hearing about Kahrs.

(Jefferson County)

I don't have the K9 but I do have and carry the K40. Eats everything I feed it. Put on a Crimson Trace laser grip and carry it in a Crossbread Super Tuck. Since my wife and daughter both have Kahrs, PM9 & CM9, if I were to get myself a 9 for myself, it would be the K9 with the elite trigger.

(York County)

The K9 is an amazing gun. Be aware that it's really tight, requiring a legit break-in period. Most people can't slingshot the slide properly because the recoil spring is so heavy (the manual tells you to just use the slide release). But once you work it in it'll be the best little carry semi-auto you've ever had. Get a decent holster to support the weight and it disappears. The cam trigger system is smooth as silk and breaks like glass. The steel frame sucks up all that "snappy" recoil you'd expect from a short barrel 9mm in this size. And with a steady hand it'll put one ragged hole in your target all day long.

I can't say enough good things about the K9. I do recommend the K series over the P series. The heavy steel makes it comfortable enough to use as a carry gun AND a range gun.

Like others have said, the K9 is a great pistol. Solid all steel that weighs as much as many plastic full size but in a slim, compact tame package. They are much like shooting a double action revolver in they have have long smooth triggers but lighter. Plenty of holsters for IWB/OWB and you almost don't know you are carrying. One problem people complain about is the mags loosing rounds in their pocket. They have updated the design too. I use mag carriers either way so I've never had this problem. Grip screws tend to rust but you can get stainless if that bothers you.

Thanks for this. The Shield is a great pistol but I sort of prefer something a tad larger than that but with IWB capability. As a CZ fan, also like metal. I know, polymer will not crack.. Just a preference. I DO need to find one to "fondle" as they say.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast