Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default AR-15 stripped lower receiver purchased with PICS check; FTF transfer?

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a stripped AR-15 lower receiver, and during purchase, my FFL told me I had to go through PICS as well as NICS. He said it was because a stripped lower COULD be turned into a pistol, so therefore, it must go through PICS. After doing reading on this forum, it seems this is a grey area.

If I wanted to sell this lower in the future, would I still be allowed to do it FTF, or is it now a pistol because I went through a PICS check (and thus, requiring me to transfer it at an FFL instead of FTF)?
    Slaves don't own arms; free men do.

(Chester County)

Default Re: AR-15 stripped lower receiver purchased with PICS check; FTF transfer?

Stripped lowers can be bought and sold as FTF transactions
    "All we have is a temporary bill of privileges" - George Carlin

Default Re: AR-15 stripped lower receiver purchased with PICS check; FTF transfer?

Quote Originally Posted by elementfreak431 View Post
    Stripped lowers can be bought and sold as FTF transactions
    Even if I went through a PICS check at purchase?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirateMoyer View Post
    Even if I went through a PICS check at purchase?
    I, not a lawyer, but for my understanding, if its put on the books as a designated pistol lover it needs to be sold as such (meaning transferred). If its it's originally bought as a rifle lower or "other" lower it can be sold FTF
    "you cant fight zombies with good intentions"

My Feedback:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/98731-cmr076.html

That's what I thought as well. And going through PICS would make it a pistol lower, correct?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirateMoyer View Post
    That's what I thought as well. And going through PICS would make it a pistol lower, correct?
    No, if you buy a long gun at a dealer they will run a pics check on you. Was it marked on the 4473 as other/receiver. It should have been.

(Allegheny County)

This all got screwy a few years ago when dealers were told they had to treat them as handguns.
    It finally all got sorted out, but I have to wonder if there are still dealers doing it the "wrong" way.

I don't know with 100% certainty how it's supposed to work now, so I'll refrain from muddying the waters with "guesses", and hope that someone more in tune with this specific issue chimes in.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-online View Post
    No, if you buy a long gun at a dealer they will run a pics check on you. Was it marked on the 4473 as other/receiver. It should have been.
    I've never had a PICS check for a long gun before. I don't think that's correct.

I can check with my FFL, but I'd bet it was correctly marked on the 4473; either way, the Federal stuff isn't what worries me. My worry is that, since it was run through PICS as well as NICS, it is now in the State Police Sales Database, making it a pistol, and thus, meaning it cannot be sold FTF.

ALL firearms sold by a ffl get a PICS check. If it was transferd to you as a pistol you should have a copy of the paperwork.

(Delaware County)

A lower, even stripped is considered the "gun".
    As such, lowers that are for long guns can be transferred FTF in PA between PA residents.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast